hf1

Washed in white spirit!

My avatar
Welshmam
Clothie
Clothie

Washed in white spirit!

Postby Welshmam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:32 pm

I've just washed a pail full of nappies without realising my husband had put a rag covered in WHITE SPIRIT in the machine. I assume they're ruined? They stink now (obviously) but I'm more concerned about the damage that's been done. I'm GUTTED. Bambino Mio miosolo

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Washed in white spirit!

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 am

Oh no you poor thing that sounds like a nightmare! Does the machine stink too? I'd make sure your machine is clean first - maybe run a cycle with a heap of bicarb soda or soda crystals to make sure it doesn't smell. Bicarb soda is good for getting rid of smells so you could try soaking your nappies in that. Can I suggest you pick your least favorite and use that to test different things until you find something that works. White vinegar is also great at getting rid of smells. I think I'd maybe try to wash with washing up liquid by hand to try to get the worst of the smell / residue off then soak in bicarb and if that doesn't work try to soak in vinegar. If you can get the smell and residue out your nappies should be OK and even the strip wash / soak shouldn't help them on a one time basis. Let us know how you get on @Welshmam

My avatar
Welshmam
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Welshmam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:08 am

Thank you! It's going to be a long day!

My avatar
Welshmam
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Welshmam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 am

You don't think it will have effected the outer lining?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:32 am

Welshmam wrote:You don't think it will have effected the outer lining?

I'm not sure but I think as long as you get it off as soon as possible it will hopefully be ok. You could pour some water into the nappy and see if it leaks? :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: they will be OK!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:33 am

And welcome to the forum :wave: Sorry you had to come and join us for the reason you have though :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 am

@Welshmam I was just doing some searching and you could maybe try just a wash with full powder first - one site I read said to just wash wash wash.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:32 am

White Spirit is used to desolve oils in paint and so. But I don't think that a rag with some on is enough to ruin the laminated part of the nappy :fingerscrossed: I would just wash wash and wash
Hope you get them clean and smellfree :hug:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

@Welshmam how did you get on?

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies