hf1

What do you do when little one's have diarrhoea bug??

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

What do you do when little one's have diarrhoea bug??

Postby rachelinscotland » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Wah! What do I do with my nappies?! Benjamin came down with vomitting/diarrhoea virus overnight - vomitting at least every hour from midnight last night till 7am this morning (with a few hours where it was twice in the hour!).Sounds like maybe it's the Norwalk Virus/Norovirus? So, today we're on to diarrhoea.... Anyway, he's had several nasty nappies today. So after thoroughly rinsing out nappies in toilet and sink before putting them in bucket, I put the in washing machine - first for 25 min prewash, then 15 min rinse cycle, before going on to 60 degree wash (tho it was time-saver). So, now I open washing machine, and I get awful smell out - not to mention nappies still stained! Boo Hoo! Did nearly think of putting him in sposies so as to not stain nappies, but didn't want to have explosive leaks everywhere. I mean, I can live with staining on my nappies (as will eventually fade) but the smell is awful! (Sorry TMI!) Guess I'll put them on the full 2.25hr 60 degree cycle now and see what they're like in the morning. Maybe a vinegar rinse now & then the long cycle. It's mainly Fluffles (put him in fitteds to help with keeping it all in, as the Fuzzibunz weren't up to it! lol), and seems the fleece is not cleaning up very well. Guess I should have put him in something with removable fleece, so I could just bin the fleece liners afterwards! oh well.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: What do you do when little one's have diarrhoea bug??

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:56 pm

Wash with a full dose of detergent and some bicarbonate of soda to remove the smell and then rinse to remove the detergent...

Don't use the 'time saver' device as that uses less water and doesn't clean as efficiently

You can also 'wash' your machine by doing a maintenance wash using dri-pak soda crystals instead of detergent and run on empty - hot as poss...

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm

I agree with Steph.

And I wouldn't do the prewash before doing a rinse and then the wash. Hot water can 'set' the stains (and smells maybe :? :? ) so it is always better to do a cold rinse first and then the hot washes. With really yucky nappies I might even do a couple of cold rinses before the wash.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:00 pm

some nice smelling lavender oil might help too!

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12 pm

babyroo wrote:I agree with Steph.

And I wouldn't do the prewash before doing a rinse and then the wash. Hot water can 'set' the stains (and smells maybe :? :? ) so it is always better to do a cold rinse first and then the hot washes. With really yucky nappies I might even do a couple of cold rinses before the wash.

I think my pre-wash is only 30-35 degrees, so basically the same temp as the rinse cycle. It only adds water once, but lets them be in the water for most of the time. Whereas the rinse cycle, it just dumps water in and drains it again very quickly. Hence my idea to do both - but I'm no expert, that's for sure! LOL

But thanks for ideas of bicarbonate of soda - must go see how much I have (hopefully I have a new tub!) and dump some of that in - never used it for nappies before. Pity Tesco don't do the huge boxes of it like we have in USA - you get it for like 50 cents, for a huge box of good ole Arm and Hammer baking soda! :D

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:29 pm

you can always pop a wrap over a sposie is the laundry gets to much for you, it will solve the leaking prob :)

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:45 am

Shevi wrote:you can always pop a wrap over a sposie is the laundry gets to much for you, it will solve the leaking prob :)

I've resorted to that for now, as we've *all* got this awful vomitting bug and can't really cope with having to clean out horrible nappies, much less worry if they're clean/stinky when they come out of washing machine! :lol: Thankfully Benjamin is on the mend, tho still had upset tummy today. But I've been in bed all Friday and so far today, so need to keep up my strength really, esp as :pregnant: too!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:22 am

rachelinscotland wrote:But thanks for ideas of bicarbonate of soda - must go see how much I have (hopefully I have a new tub!) and dump some of that in - never used it for nappies before. Pity Tesco don't do the huge boxes of it like we have in USA - you get it for like 50 cents, for a huge box of good ole Arm and Hammer baking soda! :D

Someone started a thread about this the other day - apparently boots sell big boxes of it... Not quite 50 cents but still a massive saving on thie little pots...

>:D< hope you're ALL feeling better soon xxxx

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:28 pm

aww i hope you're all better soon! vomiting and dihorrea (sp?) bug is not nice at all, and can attack an entire family very quickly...i would rest as much as poss and dont feel guilty about the sposies; its tough to deal with a few days of super-bad pooey nappies :( xx

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies