hf1

Stripping nappies

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Stripping nappies

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm just doing a wash with soda crystals just now as some of my pockets were a bit smelly, not really whiffy but just didn't smell yummy after a wash.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:26 pm

Ooh, I eagerly await the verdict.

Have just been thinking, as our problems are mainly with night nappies, it's probably NOT buildup? Or wouldn't it be in everything? Guh, then again maybe not as the day nappies don't get used/washed every cycle...

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:32 pm

Done the wash in soda crystals, do I now do a wash with powder, they smell really boring now!!!! :lol:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Kirstyh wrote:Done the wash in soda crystals, do I now do a wash with powder, they smell really boring now!!!! :lol:
They *should* smell really boring!! What do you normally wash them in? :?

Any detergents that fragrance your washing (esp strongly) leave stuff behind in the fabric and is often oil based causing buildup smell and absorbency issues :?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:48 pm

I use a small amount of bold 2 in 1, no where what would be a tablet size iykwim.
So it is ok just to go and hang them out on the line now, nothing else needed?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:50 pm

rhead wrote:Ooh, I eagerly await the verdict.

Have just been thinking, as our problems are mainly with night nappies, it's probably NOT buildup? Or wouldn't it be in everything? Guh, then again maybe not as the day nappies don't get used/washed every cycle...

It may not be build-up if only the night nappies smell. Both Katie and Ryan's night nappies absolutely stink but none of Katie's other nappies do. I think it's just where the wee is so concentrated once some of the water has evaporated through the wool they just stink. I've stripped all my nappies and the night nappies still stink in the mornings. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it really. :-?

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:Done the wash in soda crystals, do I now do a wash with powder, they smell really boring now!!!! :lol:
They *should* smell really boring!! What do you normally wash them in? :?

Any detergents that fragrance your washing (esp strongly) leave stuff behind in the fabric and is often oil based causing buildup smell and absorbency issues :?

I don't know, I love the smell of my eco detergent (plus a dash of Ecover fs :oops:) - it just smells fresh (and fades as they dry), not like whatever nasty perfumed stuff the nappies I got today are washed in - they DEFINITELY smell like they had some buildup!

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:54 pm

Louise wrote:
rhead wrote:Ooh, I eagerly await the verdict.

It may not be build-up if only the night nappies smell. Both Katie and Ryan's night nappies absolutely stink but none of Katie's other nappies do. I think it's just where the wee is so concentrated once some of the water has evaporated through the wool they just stink. I've stripped all my nappies and the night nappies still stink in the mornings. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it really. :-?

Sorry for the double post - I did wonder if it was just a hemp issue (Bumhuggers), as hemp has a reputation for stinkiness, but our other night nappies have a bamboo core and they get whiffy too. The nappies smell fine when they're dry but as soon as she wees in the evening there's a strong (kind of nicotine-y?) smell that lingers all night. :-?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 pm

The soda crystals worked a treat and now the nappies are blowing on the line and they now smell yummy and fresh air clean - yes I have just been sniffing them!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies