My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Newbie needs advice!!!!!

Postby PoshMama » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13361

is my intro

I need advice of what washing liquid to use (I have ecover) and how to store dirty nappies

I have a load of itti bittis coming tommorrow but not sure how to wash them :oops:

Also how do I store the dirty nappies??? What do I do with the poo ones (not that DD poo's that often, thankfully!)

TIA

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Newbie needs advice!!!!!

Postby JanX » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:01 pm

hiya

storing dirty nappies is easy :wink: all you really need is some sort of bucket with a lid to pop them into. With poppy nappies the poop goes down the toilet and then I just put the nappy in the bucket with all the others.

I personally use washing powder, have used all sorts in the past so anything goes really regarding what product, if you ise ecover anyway and you are happy with it then that should be fine for the nappies too

jan x

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:09 pm

how do you get runny poo in the loo? :oops:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:16 pm

PoshMama wrote:how do you get runny poo in the loo? :oops:

:hohoho: :hohoho: good question!

hold tight to a part of the nappy not covered in it, dangle it into the loo and flush :wink: will get some of it off the nappy. If you really want you could rinse it under the cold tap or spray it off under a cool shower spray :wink:

tbh I used the hold and flush techniqe then into the nappy buct, I wash my nappies every evening though so probably wouldn't do that if they were going to be sat in the bucket for any longer than that..

you can also buy a spray thing that can be attached to your toilet, you can pick them up on ebay, they are listed as bidet sprays usually (you can get ones specifcally marketed as nappysprayers but they are 5 x more expensive than the bdet sprays which are the same thing)

sorry for the ramble on there :oops:

jan x

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:17 pm

With runny poo I wipe it off with a bit of loo roll. Don't worry if you can't get it all off, the really liquid stuff will wash out easily :) Alternatively you could use flushable liners, but I found that they clung to DD's bottom and seemed to make her uncomfortable.

I use ecover for my other washing but have found that it leaves my nappies a bit whiffy - I tend to use Bold infusions for about 2/3 of my washes, with ecover for the other 1/3, and I alternate between 40 and 60 degree washes.

I'd recommend a large bucket big enough to see you between washes (my bucket isn't big enough and I haven't got another one yet - apparently Wilkinsons is good) and I really recommend a nappy net - picking nappies out of the bucket by hand when they've been festering for 3 days isn't a pleasant job :( The nappies will wash themselves out of the net during the cycle

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:20 pm

You can either hold the nappy in the loo and flush (messy!) or just throw it all in the washing machine and let that deal with it. A cold wash followed by a 40c or 60c wash gets the nappies lovely and clean. We use one bio tablet for a nappy wash and do a 60c wash. We also dry pail and use a bucket mesh.
Last edited by Soupdragon on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:21 pm

I had a nasty run in with the nappy the first time I tried hold and flush - never again :hohoho:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:23 pm

I do the same as Jan, shake poo in the loo if you can but if the bits are too soft I just chuck them in the pale until wash day. When washing I do a cold wash then a hot wash usually about 50 degrees then another cold wash. I used yo use ecover as well but found it stunk!!!! So I have now switched to bold 2in1 (on advise from the lovely ladies here), you only need to use a tiny bit of powder and our nappies now smell loooovely. I then either just put them on the airer to dry and give them a quick 10 min fluffle in the drier on stick them on the radiator. I am going to get some bicard of soda to put in the nappy pale as this helps combat the eye watering amonia smell when you take the lid of the plae :hohoho: :hohoho:
Oh nearly forgot, with our D'lish's I just unpopper all the inserts before washing and chuck everything in together.

Hope this helps, Kirsty xx

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:25 pm

Jasminesmummy wrote:I had a nasty run in with the nappy the first time I tried hold and flush - never again :hohoho:

Same here. <shudders at memory>

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies