Newbie needs advice!!!!!

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Newbie needs advice!!!!!

Postby PoshMama » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:31 pm

this is why it took so long to buy them too confusing :hohoho:

I have ecover so I'll try it I guess got the reg and delectes liquid which do you use?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:34 pm

I use the liquid - I find it washes out better whereas the powder can occasionally leave residues

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 pm

PoshMama wrote:http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm
says no to to ecover and bold :(
Well what they note about ecover is true
This detergent can act more like a soap and leave a residue in hard water conditions.

One of the reasons they're negative about bold is the fabric softner... The thing is the softner in bold 2in1 is a clay based rather than oil based softner, so this doesn't affect the absorbency of the nappies...
The use of scents is a personal one - I try to use unscented products on my nappies as fragrance oils can cause rashes and skin sensitivities... And they also stay behind in the nappy reducing absorbency...

Plus it's a US site so doesn't cover the range of products available in the uk...

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:52 pm

is there a 3rd option

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Any washing powder without combined fabric softener should be fine for washing nappies. Liquid is not recommended as it leaves gunk all over the machines and all over your clothes / nappies. Assuming you're in the UK, there is lot of information on UK Whitegoods site about it. You could try Aquados Simply as an eco alternative - http://www.simplywashing.com. Otherwise anything in the washing powder aisles should be fine.

As a general rule, you should perform a maintenance wash on your machine regularly (monthly or so), especially if using liquids. Maintenance wash is an empty washing cycle with a serving of bio powder at the hottest temperature, normally 90 degrees.

HTH...

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 pm

dh used a whole cap to wash them :? I said 10 times to use 1/3 cap, they are being re-washed, hope they are ok :oops:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:05 pm

PoshMama wrote:dh used a whole cap to wash them :? I said 10 times to use 1/3 cap, they are being re-washed, hope they are ok :oops:

Just do extra rinse cycles until there aren't any bubbles and then they'll be ok...

(I never let DH wash the nappies :oops: )

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:09 pm

I loose looooaaads of weigh BF, too much infact, with Anna I went a stone underweight and it ended up affecting my milk supply and with Gracie I was back in my normal clothes within a week, may be I am just lucky in that I loose weigh (only eve gaing a stone while preg) but not so lucky in that I had to stop bf which I love!

I wonder what the new Ariel gel is like compared to luquid detergants, I have been using it for all our clothes except Gracies clothes and nappies and it is really good?????

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Kirstyh wrote:(only eve gaing a stone while preg)

Haha I've already gained close to two... :hohoho:

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies