Liquid Help!

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Liquid Help!

Postby rachyrach » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Aargh!!
As well as the previous owners of my new house leaving it uncleaned for 6 years and infested with fleas, I've now been told by my lovely plumber that on no account should I use powder to wash clothes because of the state of the pipework which has been clogged up with powder over the years and I have had to have it all replaced.

I have been happily using bold 2in1 tablets but now what should I use?
I can't use the bold 2in 1 liquid can I because its not clay based, is that right?
What do you all recommend?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Liquid Help!

Postby Mareth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:01 pm

I use bold 2in1 liquid and I've never had any problems with my nappies :oops: I had no idea it was any different to the powder/tablets. I've heard a lot of people saying that actually liquid is worse than powder for clogging, but again no problems yet, but when I run out of the liquid I will be switching to powder only because it's cheaper though.

If you've had all your pipes replaced then I don't see why you can't use whatever you like as new pipes should be in excellent condition and able to handle anything, shouldn't they?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:11 pm

Erm which pipes - the ones in your washing machine?

I trust he doesn't mean the water pipes as no detergent would go in those :?

Liquid is worse for machines and pipes than powder - the only reason powder causes cloggyness is if someone regularly uses too much and never does a maintenance wash on their washer...

If the machine is a bit cloggy it probably needs a decent clean...
Either: Get some soda crystals and put a cup or two (yes really) in the drum and drawer and run your machine on 90 degrees full wash full rinse, then do another full rinse cycle (especially if you see any bubbles)]

Or you can buy washing machine cleaner which is a bit harsher but does a similar thing - basically cleans all the gunk out of your machine...

And euww to the fleas! (I thought they only lived on live creatures? Did they have cats and manky carpets?)

Personally I would continue using bold - it's one of the only tablets that disolve properly too which also means no clogging problems - cheaper powders and pressed tablets are more prone to clogging...

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Steph, do you know whether it's correct that the liquid isn't clay based?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:Steph, do you know whether it's correct that the liquid isn't clay based?

No idea sorry :?

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Yep...fleas are definately yuck. Apparently the eggs lay dormant until it gets nice and warm and they feel vibrations of people walking. Not good when you can pick fleas off your daughter and I had 50 bites on one leg! Think they are under control now.

Its the waste pipes that were all clogged up. I think it might also have something to do with the fact we are not on mains drainage and now we have had a saniflow fitted as well.

I am in one mind to carry on using a one tablet with the nappies though. Just wondered if anyone recommended a liquid.

Maybe I'll contact the bold makers and ask them about the liquid and clay thing!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:50 am

rachyrach wrote:
I am in one mind to carry on using a one tablet with the nappies though. Just wondered if anyone recommended a liquid.

Maybe I'll contact the bold makers and ask them about the liquid and clay thing!

I'd personally stick to powder and tablets as I keep hearing bad things about liquid and what it does to your machine and nappies! Also I used to use tablets and I would only use 1/2 a tab for a load of nappies and that was just perfect, for 2 years I never had any smelly nappies, only since I got here and changed to powder so probably using a bit more or something!

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:26 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
Geordie_Girl wrote:Steph, do you know whether it's correct that the liquid isn't clay based?

No idea sorry :?

Have finally heard from Bold maufacturers and the Bold Liquid conditioner is also clay based.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Good to know, thanks :)

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies