Oh the smell!!!

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Oh the smell!!!

Postby mabo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Ok another question from me...

I seem to remember that if nappies smell when they come ouf the washing it means something different to when they smell once weed in... can anybody clarify this?

I've noticed Anna's night nappies really really honk come morning, its almost comparable to the smell you get then a road is being laid with asphalt. The first time it happened I actually thought they must have been working on the road outside :hohoho:

I do the nappy wash at 40 with a little bit of bicarb, a few drops to tea tree oil and 4 rinses... they dont smell when they come out. It doesnt seem to matter what nappy she is in, bamboo or fluffle (mf) or whether she is in fleece, pul or wool :roll:

Could it be because we've dropped the night-time feed making the wee more concrentrated? She has a cup of water in her cot but I dont think she's figured out how to get it in the pitch black yet.

help?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Oh the smell!!!

Postby flutterby » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:30 pm

If they don't smell when they come out of the machine it's most likely a build up, also is it possible that you've gotten used to the smell of disposables?

I would try a strip wash and see if that helps!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 pm

Yeah, usually if they smell nice once they have been washed but smell once weed on then it is detergent build up. Although having said that, Ben's night nappies smell in the morning and I think it is just the quantity of wee as none of his other nappies smell.

My avatar
Pickle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Pickle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:12 am

How do you do a strip wash? Probably a really stupid question! Also, Our nappies don't smell but Alexander's wraps can absolutely stink even after being washed. They a ME airflow wraps. Any suggestions?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:42 pm

If they stink after being washed it's not likely to be build up but rather that they aren't getting clean enough, though the way I strip wash would work for either problem, full dose for heavy soil of bio, full wash, then rinse and rinse till the bubbles are gone!

My avatar
Pickle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Pickle » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks Hanna I'll give that a whirl :D

My avatar
Sparkle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Sparkle » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:19 pm

und using a small amount of white vinegar in the softner drawer worked with smells too. R's nappies stink come morning but that is due to her being a super soaker through the night.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Pickle wrote:Thanks Hanna I'll give that a whirl :D

Whirl, no there's a pun!!!!! :hohoho: :hohoho:

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies