Clothie
Clothie

Probably already asked but....

Postby bozandloz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm

hiya

this has probably already been asked 1000 times but just wondering how do I
1. strip my nappies, I've got 99% pockets and 2 little lowly wraps
2. bleach/strip microfibre inserts

I bought them all preloved Nov 08 uptil present day. I sometimes notice a "wee" smell even after washing, although my friend doesn't notice it on them (yep, we are nappy sniffing wierdo's) I think her nappies smell nice and she thinks mine smell nice >:D< I live in a very hard water area and use 1 bold 2 in 1 tablet per wash which is normally every 2-3 days and consists of disposable wipes, fleece liners and approx 10-15 pockets and microfibre inserts. I dry pail inserts seperate to pockets. I sometimes run them on a cold rinse prior to a 40' wash but not always

Some of the inserts are stained (by my LO's explosive stinky teething poo) or were sold to me like that and was wondering can I just stick them in a bleach solution or is there a more technical way?

if you've made it this far down, well done!
thanks for reading

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Probably already asked but....

Postby Frances » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:56 pm

Try adding a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda to a cold rinse - does wonders when mine get smelly. Stains will usually sun out, try a sunny windowsill if it's wet!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 pm

If they still smell after washing it's more likely they aren't getting clean enough, try doing a wash with a full dose of detergent and then keep rinsiing till all the bubbles are gone!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:24 pm

flutterby wrote:If they still smell after washing it's more likely they aren't getting clean enough, try doing a wash with a full dose of detergent and then keep rinsiing till all the bubbles are gone!

And hope it doesn't take 17 rinses!!!!!!!

I agree with what has been said, i put some bicard in tonights wash as our night nappies were a tiny bit whiffy but now bad. xx

My avatar
bozandloz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby bozandloz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:49 am

thanks for the suggestions, I'll try some bicarb in. Did them with a 2 bold tablets the other day and several rinses. It just seems to be every so often

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:24 am

I wouldn't think it would take more than one or 2 extra rinses to get rid of th bubbles, I used to use the full amount of powder for ages when I first started using washables when DD was tiny - just because I didn't realise that you were meant to use half! Have you tried a drop or 2 of essential oils? Or doing a rinse cycle before the main wash so the worst is off and out the machine before you start?

I recently bought some pre loved nappies that stank of wee. One wash though and they were fine. I am pregnant though so may just have an extra sensitive smell at the mo!

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies