hf1

Loads of daft questions from a newbie

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Loads of daft questions from a newbie

Postby 4timeslucky » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi everybody - got a questions here! initially wirtten to em who mentioned the washing forum

1) I read somewhere - on here? about the great idea of adding a few drops of essential oils/lavender in the conditioner drawer. Do you know if you can add it the same time as white vinegar as we have very hard water here? found ANSWER in previous poll - YES

2) Do you use a nappy net in your bucket - if so do you put the whole thing in the wash and find they make their way out while washing or empty them into the machine?

3)Do people tend to do a cold rinse first as read in a few places? I havent as yet but looking at our machine realised can only do prewash at same temp as wash (mostly 60 with those b/fed nappies) not separate rinse maybe I could use the refresh short 30min 30 degree wash? Is it worth it?

4)Also wondering if anybody has tried asda's version of vanish? cheaper and I got through loads of vanish (not v env friendly & expensive) in the first few weeks - she had b/fed dirty nappies all the time but calmed down now though!

5)Lastly do you need to use powder when you wash new nappies to get the absorbency before using? Now I could put mine in with others I already have or clothes washing but its just something I've always wondered

Thanks
Kath

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:51 pm

1) I read somewhere - on here? about the great idea of adding a few drops of essential oils/lavender in the conditioner drawer. Do you know if you can add it the same time as white vinegar as we have very hard water here? found ANSWER in previous poll - YES

2) Do you use a nappy net in your bucket - if so do you put the whole thing in the wash and find they make their way out while washing or empty them into the machine?

I dont use a nappy net, I think though its best to empty them all out.
3)Do people tend to do a cold rinse first as read in a few places? I havent as yet but looking at our machine realised can only do prewash at same temp as wash (mostly 60 with those b/fed nappies) not separate rinse maybe I could use the refresh short 30min 30 degree wash? Is it worth it?

I dont do a cold rinse but thats mainly because of water restrictions here.
4)Also wondering if anybody has tried asda's version of vanish? cheaper and I got through loads of vanish (not v env friendly & expensive) in the first few weeks - she had b/fed dirty nappies all the time but calmed down now though!

I wouldn't use vanish all the time - it can affect the absorbancy, so isn't reccommended, the sun is a great bleacher even through a window if its raining outside.
5)Lastly do you need to use powder when you wash new nappies to get the absorbency before using? Now I could put mine in with others I already have or clothes washing but its just something I've always wondered

I just chuck my new nappies in with my other nappies not so much with other clothes, mainly because I use softner in with clothes. Remember also that you only need a third of the normal powder you use in your nappy wash cause that can also affect absorbancy.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:13 am

Well in answer:

2) I have a net but tbh found it a bit of a faff, and gave up with it. I always found that something got stuck in it at the bottom. I also like to put them all in gradually so I can double check that dh has folded back all the applix and emptied all the pockets - he just can't be trusted all the time!

3) I do a cold rinse first just to get rid of any lingering bits of poo I haven't managed to scrape off and also people say that hot water can help "fix" the smells in. My machine just has a prewash like yours at the same temp as the wash but it also has a temp dial so I turn it to "no heat" and then turn it up again for the wash.

4) I don't use stain removers. Sometimes there are lingering stains, especially when I had to dry indoors but it is always fixed with a good day out on the line.

5) No need to use powder when you wash new nappies. But actually these days I am too impatient to pre-wash and then wait for them to dry. New nappies go straight on and I just accept that they may not be as absorbent for the first few tries.

HTH

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:48 am

Hi,

1) I don't use a net
2) I always rinse my nappies by hand as soon as I've changed one as I don't like the idea of them festering in the nappy bin for 3 days.
3) I don't use stain removers as so far I've not had any stains

Gisele

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm

Thanks everybody
I have a net but only used it a couple of times as found if pulling them out the net might as well pick them up out of the bucket!

I dont soak but I do sometimes run the wet ones under the tap before they go in the bucket, read they last longer then & vanish after flushing/wiping dirty ones but before chucking them in the bucket - its easier to do before - read that tip somewhere as well, but I like the idea of not needing it!

Kath

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies