hf1

how many nappies make a full load

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: how many nappies make a full load

Postby JennyPenny » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:19 am

Everybody seems to do an awful lot of rinsing etc? I would be a bit worried that by the time you have done all that everytime - surely it isn't any more cost effective or eco friendly than disposables?

I do a rinse cycle and then a normal wash. I don't rinse after - surely the washer rinses anyway during the normal wash? I didn't even do the rinse before hand until I joined this forum. They always come out clean? :-?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am

The problem is that modern machines try to save energy and water by using less water. This is ok for normal clothes but with nappies it can lead to a build up of detergent as it isn't rinsed out properly and this can cause problems with absorbency and smells.

So most people find an extra rinse is needed or a strip wash every so often.

I just do a cold rinse at the beginning to rinse off any nasties. Then a 40 degree normal wash and an extra rinse at the end. This works for us but I think people in harder water areas have more problems.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36 am

I have to do a couple of extra rinses at the end of my nappy wash as our water is really hard. We get detergent build up very quickly otherwise which leads to very smelly nappies.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:46 pm

We have very hard water too - outter london. Maybe I have just been lucky? My machine is only 2 years old but wasn't a very eco friendly one as it was just the cheapest we could find when we moved here!

Do you think I should start doing an extra rinse? It seems a bit of a waste but then I don't want to end up with nasty nappies! I haven't noticed any smells or lack of absorbency but I have had a few preloved stuff come through the door which STINK and I wonder if the person before me didn't notice?

Previous

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies