hf1

handwashing

My avatar
lili
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

handwashing

Postby lili » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:37 am

whan i go on holiday iwould like to take my washables but not sure how i'd get on handwashing them in the bathroom sink.
has anyone else done this,?
what detergent did you use?
what nappies did you take?

i'm thinking that fuzzis would possibly be best as there so quick to dry....

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:20 am

Sorry no-one's answered this yet!

I've never hand-washed nappies (only woolies) but I imagine fuzzis would be the quickest to dry...
Handwashing also wouldn't kill the bugs like a 60degree wash would so personally I wouldn't do it as Isabelle has amazingly sensitive skin...

Last few times I've been away it has been at my parents or my inlaws so I've just borrowed their washing machines...

I think I'd be tempted over to the dark side of eco-disps rather than hand-wash :)

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:39 am

Hiya

hadn't seen this before!!

Last year when we went away we took fuzzis, took enough inserts to last and as many fuzzis as we had and just handwashed them and all was fine! had a big wet bag and I rinsed all the inserts through and hung to dry, then when dry popped them into the wet bag to be properly washed at home!

The fuzzis - if they were pooped in I hadwashed, hung to dry and straight inot the wet bag to be properly washed at home, if just weed in then i handwashed and reused them!!

This year with 3 in cloth I relented and used sposies :roll:

hth

jan x

My avatar
lili
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby lili » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:08 pm

we are going to be in cuba, for 2 weeks and i'm told that you cant buy napies (or anything really ) out there and to pack everything you need, i think we should be able to handwash at 60 as we have a kettle in the room,
i might try a trial day or two at home and see how i get on

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm

I have to admit that I packed disposables when we went to Greece :oops:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:50 pm

Honestly I think you'd have to be seriously dedicated to use cloth while you were out there... Much as I hate disposables (and Isabelle is allergic to the majority) it would be easier...

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:50 pm

I love my cloth but unfortuantly I too would go for disposables rather than handwashing, sounds like a lot of mucking around when you're there to enjoy your holiday :D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:33 am

I've done it for long weekends where I have handwashed Fuzzis and they dried very quickly. Can't remember what I used, think it was just liquid detergent. It is definately doable if you are determined. If you do I'd say maybe use paper liners so you don't get poo on the nappy!

I'd probably go ecodisposable though if I was somewhere without a machine for more than a few days! :D

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:47 am

I think the problem you have is that you will need to take disposables anyway just in case you can't get the nappies washed and dried and as you say you can't buy them there. So I honestly think you would just be better off packing lots of disposables in the bottom of your suitcase - we just took them out of the packet and spread them all out over the bottom of the case - didn't take up much room.

I am obviously a HUGE cloth fan but I do think that sometimes you have to compromise and I didn't really want to be spending my holiday stressing about getting nappies clean and dry - especially if the different food upset her tummy :?

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies