Washing help!

My avatar
Vici
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Washing help!

Postby Vici » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:57 am

Hi girls, i'm a bit confused about washing advice so hoping you can help me :D

99% of people say to wash newborn/baby clothes in non bio and this seems to be the case with many cloth nappy mums too. However, I also see that I can use Bold 2 in 1 for nappys. Does this include from newborn as surely if so, I could then wash LOs clothes in this too. I'm confused :lol:

Also, I have a few d'lish nappys (red, yellow and turquoise, anyone got any recomendations about washing these, both initially and also in the more long term (worried about colours!!)

Thank you x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Washing help!

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 am

I've been washing Grace's nappies in Ariel Bio from birth - all her clothes are washed in this too and we've had no skin issues (myself and Isabelle have super sensitive skin and amazingly we're fine with it - I ALWAYS do an extra rinse cycle though) so I think you should be fine...

Bio gets clothes clean better than non bio to be honest...

I've always washed colours together and not had any probs...

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:03 am

I think the reason non-bio is what is usually recommended is because it is more 'gentle' for baby's skin.

Your nappies can be washed in whatever powder you are happy to use for the rest of your laundry - so if you use bio for the rest of your washing you don't need to use non-bio for the nappies. Bold is often used because the softener in it is clay based and so doesn't affect the absorbancy like other softeners does, so is great for nappes.

Bio is genereally better at gettin things cleaner and removing stains.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 am

we're bold 2 in 1 users here and it's great, I wash all our clothes in it although Gracie seems to be sensitive to some flavours and not others but that is trial and error. As for colours, I just chuck them all in together, never had any problems. x

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:00 pm

bold 2-1 here too since Summer was about 3 months I think, and stuff is soo much cleaner now!

Your ittis shouldn't run, certainly after the first couple of washes!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:08 am

I have posted a link to an interesting debate which includes the bio / non bio debate. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17544

What I always say is that we are pretty much the only country in the world who has non bio so if the rest of the world get on fine without it I don't think it is really necessary. I have always used bio as I think it gets things cleaner which has got to be better for babies and as long as you rinse it out then it shouldn't have any adverse affect

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:15 pm

I use bio for nappies, after looking into it.

I kept reading that bio damages elastic in nappies, so emailed Aquados and Ariel and asked them if they were aware of bio detergents damaging elastic. I figured that as they both sell non-bio versions they'd have nothing to lose by saying "we suggest you use our non-bio" or similar. Also, we're never told to wash anything else with elastic with non-bio, just nappies. Anyway, they both emailed back saying that they weren't aware of any problems with elastic and non-bio, although Ariel added that elastic is damaged by high temperatures so always follow the wash instructions.

tbh, as I'm using a half dosage and doing extra rinses on every wash I really can't see that there'd be a problem.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies