hf1

Advice please!

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Advice please!

Postby jennyjanesharp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 pm

I have been given a load of old cloth nappies,some very servicable, but I cannot get rid of an underlying smell of urine.

I washed them in non-bio, and fabric conditioner, on a 50 c setting, extra rinse, but they still smell????

Any advice???

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Advice please!

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Don't use fabric softener in any nappies it affects absorbancy. Smell wise sounds like they need to be stripped washed, Do this by either using a full dose of detergant and washing at 60 and then rinse rinse rinse till no bubbles or do the same but with soda crystals (I find they worked best) and the smell should be gone. HTH. xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:58 pm

Kirstyh wrote:Don't use fabric softener in any nappies it affects absorbancy. Smell wise sounds like they need to be stripped washed, Do this by either using a full dose of detergant and washing at 60 and then rinse rinse rinse till no bubbles or do the same but with soda crystals (I find they worked best) and the smell should be gone. HTH. xx

The full dose of detergent should really be bio, it gets things much cleaner!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:44 pm

I always use bio, I know it's not the enviromently friendly option but it does get things much cleaner and fresher. x

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Is Bold 2-in-1 bio? Not sure! :oops:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:34 pm

Kirstyh wrote:I always use bio, I know it's not the enviromently friendly option but it does get things much cleaner and fresher. x

arguably bio is the environmentally friendly option as things get clean first time at lower temps :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:21 pm

jennyjanesharp wrote:I have been given a load of old cloth nappies,some very servicable, but I cannot get rid of an underlying smell of urine.

I washed them in non-bio, and fabric conditioner, on a 50 c setting, extra rinse, but they still smell????

Any advice???

You really shouldn't be using fabric softner with nappies UNLESS it's Bold 2-in-1 as they use a clay based softner, all other softners/fabric conditioners are oil based and will seriously affect the absorbency of your nappies and contribute to build-up and smell also...

I also echo what the others have said about washing in bio

To strip these nappies do a cold rinse cycle or pre-wash (so as not to set the smells), then use a full dose of a decent biological detergent such as Ariel or Bold on a hot (60degrees) wash and then do two or three cold wash cycles with no detergent (one will often do though, alternatively just repeat the rinse cycles until no bubbles remain in the water)...

If you're still getting problems as a 1-off put a decent dose of bicarbonate of soda in the wash too as this is very good at ridding smells.

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Yep, agree with Steph, hope you can get rid of the smells!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm

rhead wrote:Is Bold 2-in-1 bio? Not sure! :oops:

Yes

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies