Drying nappies

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Drying nappies

Postby JabberJabber » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:10 am

I looked in the nappy drawer this morning and found...... nothing! :shock:

Due to the incredibly wet weather :( , I can't get my nappies out to dry and it's taking ages on the indoor airer. I do have a bit of space in the airing cupboard, where I can hang the nappies on coat hangers, but you can only fit about 4 in there at any time.

I'm rotating nappies between the airer and airing cupboard on hangers, and when they are this far-><- away from being dry they can sit in the airing cupboard in piles to finish off.

I have bamboo nappies and some old style tots fluffles, but can I put any of these on the radiator when the heating is on, or in the tumble dryer? (Not that we have a tumble dryer, but we do go to my mum's house once a week and she has one!)

As we are also looking to get a stash of bigger nappies, I'm really going to have to think carefully about what I get as we will be heading into autumn/winter soon and won't be able to put them outside to dry as often.

Thanks,
Kate

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Drying nappies

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 am

I have mostly bamboo nappies and tumble them all to finnish off as it keeps them fluffy!! They do take a while in the dryer, hence the reason i only finnish them off in there!

I wouldnt put them directly on the readiators but if you could get those little racks that hang off the radiators then i cant see why that would be ok! :)

I love bamboo nappies, they are my fav but the drying time is a PITA!!

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 am

i put them in the dryer too. but before i had one i used the things what you hang off the radiaters and a washing line that went over the bath

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:07 pm

I was going to get rid of all my BG's intil the weather turned and I very quickly run out of bamboo nappies! I dont have a tumble so have to put up with the airer/airing cupboard. At the mo it is too warm for radiators anyway. :(

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:03 pm

I'd put them in the tumbler but only on a low setting.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:17 pm

Radiator hanger things as direct contact cooks the bamboo. Tumble on low heat or line dry!

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:55 pm

Just to say I hang my bamboo in front of the radiators not on them and they seem to have a reasonable drying time that way :mrgreen:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:41 pm

Excellent, thanks for all the help.

I think I will buy an airer thing to go on the radiator in Oliver's room for the bamboo ones when the heating is on in winter.

I'm just going to have to plan carefully when I buy more nappies to ensure a range of fabrics...

Kate x

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:04 pm

We tend to have all slow drying stuff so I know what you mean, but mf and cotton just don't hold enough wee for Austin so it has to be bamboo or hemp, and like you we don't have a dryer so I just made sure I have double the amount of inserts :wink: :giggle:

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies