lisa0476
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: HEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP

Postby lisa0476 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:29 pm

thanx so much for all your help everyone xx

Louise wrote:
lisa0476 wrote:
Louise wrote:I agree about adding more powder. We live in a hard water area so I find I need to add more powder to get the nappies clean, I also use magno balls in the wash which helps too. I'd rather add more powder and rinse a couple more times than have yukky smelling nappies. Although clean nappies shouldn't smell of anything at all, if they do then you're probably using too much powder and will get detergent build up quickly.

yes i to live in a hard water area, i will add more powder and see what happens alot of my nappies smell of nothing there are just some that are still stinky :-? but im gonna try the vinegar and oils and hopefully will have no more stinky nappies but nice fresh lavendar smelling ones lol is lavendar the only oil you can use???

You can use any essential oils. Tea tree and lavender are recommended as they also have antibacterial properties. I use tea tree oil in my nappy bucket - add a drop or to to each nappy as it goes in the bucket, and occasionally lavender oil in the conditioner compartment when I wash the nappies. A tbsp or so of bicarb in the conditioner drawer occassionally is supposed to help combat smells too.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Just to say I've recently started adding some washing soda in with the powder as this softens the water and allows the detergent to deal with stains more effectively. In theory it means you should be able to get the same effect with less powder. Good luck!

My avatar
lisa0476
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby lisa0476 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Amanda wrote:Just to say I've recently started adding some washing soda in with the powder as this softens the water and allows the detergent to deal with stains more effectively. In theory it means you should be able to get the same effect with less powder. Good luck!

thanx hun tbh tho i dont have a prob with stains just the smell :shock:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:18 pm

lisa0476 wrote:
Amanda wrote:Just to say I've recently started adding some washing soda in with the powder as this softens the water and allows the detergent to deal with stains more effectively. In theory it means you should be able to get the same effect with less powder. Good luck!

thanx hun tbh tho i dont have a prob with stains just the smell :shock:

I think I work on the assumption that if it helps detergent attack stains then it must do the same for smells! It definitely helped with smells for me. Chemistry was never my strong point but my theory works in my head, even if there's no fact behind it :giggle:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 am

def agree about more powder can't imagine a couple of teaspoons is enough at all. I use an eco powder which has added essential oils, doesnt say so i can just smelll them and what a gorgeous scent. It is asdas own brannd of eco. My nappies and clothes smell fresh and lovely :hohoho: and its not a strong perfume smell just a clean fresh smell iyswim :wink:

My avatar
lisa0476
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby lisa0476 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:29 am

littlesez wrote:def agree about more powder can't imagine a couple of teaspoons is enough at all. I use an eco powder which has added essential oils, doesnt say so i can just smelll them and what a gorgeous scent. It is asdas own brannd of eco. My nappies and clothes smell fresh and lovely :hohoho: and its not a strong perfume smell just a clean fresh smell iyswim :wink:

oooh might have to try that one lol, i only used a teaspon of powder because that is what i was told to do to prevent powder build up :-?

My avatar
vickylum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby vickylum » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:42 pm

lisa0476 wrote:
megansmummy wrote:I found that I needed to use a bit more washing powder...I was uding a tiny amount and they wernt smelling nice at all...now i use about 2 level tablespoons and just add an extra rinse at the end to make sure its all out and they smell much better...I also wash at 60 now and used to wash at 40c...now they come out smelling much better :)

thanx for that i just figured by using more than one teaspoon there would be more build up again :-? i used to always wash on 60 but then someone said to wash on 40 as 60 could set smells????? see i just get sooooooooooooo confuzzled lol i always now rinse nappies by hand when i change him pop them in the bucket wash about every second day do a rinse first then a main 40 wash then an extra rinse so maybe i should add a touch more powder along with the vinegar and oils and also do it on 60 lol :giggle: oh i will get ther :giggle: haha now see ask me bout slings and i know everything throw in a nappy and im confuzzled still lol

I think there is some truth in 60 setting smells as i have always done my nappys on a 40 but olivia had done a few smelly ones so put them on a rinse then a 60 and my nappys smelt awful and i use lavender and tea tree oils in replacement of conditioner and they still stunk had to wash them again and on a 40 and they were 210 times better!!

Previous

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies