hf1

My nappies really stink.....think I've solved it!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: My nappies really stink.....think I've solved it!

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:34 pm

YAy, glad you solved it, it is nice to have nappies that smell of nothing sometimes rather than powder x

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:28 pm

:wine: glad it worked

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Steph » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:46 pm

yay glad you got nappies that don't smell :wine:

My avatar
mammymade
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mammymade » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:34 am

yay, glad it worked babes

x

My avatar
chipmonkey
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby chipmonkey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Geordie, whereabouts in Dublin are you? I'm in Meath and the water is so hard it's nearly solid! Same would go for most of the Northside. I really think it affects the way you have to wash the nappies. I used to use non-bio but found that even with white vinegar and/or tea-tree oil and/or bicarb of soda, they always stank. I now use a single bio tablet and we seem to be sorted.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:55 pm

chipmonkey wrote:Geordie, whereabouts in Dublin are you? I'm in Meath and the water is so hard it's nearly solid! Same would go for most of the Northside. I really think it affects the way you have to wash the nappies. I used to use non-bio but found that even with white vinegar and/or tea-tree oil and/or bicarb of soda, they always stank. I now use a single bio tablet and we seem to be sorted.

Practically on the Meath border :) . The water is naff here, we use bio, but I'm gonna have to change something.

My avatar
chipmonkey
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby chipmonkey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:38 pm

logically vinegar should work as acid should counteract lime but I was also told that vinegar can damage the elastics on nappies if used too much so what can you do? :|

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:23 am

Sounds like what I've always suspected - using too little detergent DOESN'T GET THE NAPPIES CLEAN!!! :giggle: So a proper clean with a full dose of detergent does wonders (as long as you rinse enough times so there's no residual buildup).

My avatar
purplehearts
Clothie
Clothie

Postby purplehearts » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Heya
I had this problem after the first time I ever used my bumgenius.
The nappy had a strong smell of pee which I couldn't seem to get rid of!
I realised I was using too much detergent - I used a whole liquitab (youre supposed to use 1 for a full load) and I only had a small load.
Ive also heard that liquid based detergents can cause a build up.
I think I'd also left the nappy too long before washing - a couple of days - and I didn't do a rinse before washing.
I got rid of it by handwashing the nappy in washing up liquid - washingup liquid is great for 'stripping' and removing greasy build ups - I've used it to strip shampoo build up from my hair before! After this step, the smell had almost totally gone.
I then did a cold water rinse, and then a full wash cycle at 40 degrees with half a powder tablet.
It was totally fine when it came out.
Since then, I always do a cold rinse first and use half/a quarter of the recommended amount of powder based detergent. If I think the load won't be heavy enough (most modern washing machines weigh the load to decide how much water to rinse with - if the load is too light, there wont be enough water to rinse the nappies fully) then I add a few wet towels to the load. Now I don't have any problems at all with smelly nappies :wink:
Glad you got this problem sorted, it is really fustrating when you keep washing your nappies and they keep coming coming out smelly!

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies