hf1

Advice from an expert on washing detergent

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Advice from an expert on washing detergent

Postby ladybird » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Following Ken's advice (I played a big part in some of his threads on Netmums way back when...), I switched to using what was then called Aquados, over Ecover. I still use it (although it's now called Simply) and also for the dishwasher. He tried to get info from Ecover and got a big fat nothing, he met up with the people behind Aquados and found them very helpful. I've used their stuff for years now, love it, have no problems with it and notice no difference between it and the rare occasion I've run out and reached for something else. The bio is fine as well as the non-bio. I buy it online and if you buy in bulk you get discounts and free packets www.simplywashing.com

My avatar
jasmine b
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jasmine b » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Shaunie wrote: I only really notice that my clothes don't smell as nice as other wash detergents & I do find myself sniffing my Mum's freshly washed laundry :oops: :oops: :oops:

we use the eco ball things with no fabric softener and only wash at 30 sometimes 40 and when i get post i can tell when its a pre loved nappy as i can smell the detergent from a mile away. my mum has told me numerous times that our clothes dont smell clean but as ive now given up work i figure my clothes dont need to smell like lotus flowers :giggle:

My avatar
Bobble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Bobble » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 pm

A really interesting post. After battling with eczema for years with my 10 year old and with history repeating itself with the one year old (middle child escaped!) I can see that I have fallen into the 'all bio is bad' club. Thank you for providing a different and useful perspective.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:02 pm

I have gone and got us some Ariel powder, and all I can say is....IT STINKS!!!!!! You can smell it the minute you walk in the kitchen!!!!

But I tried it on a wash yesterday, and it got my grubby kitchen towels much cleaner than normal. Everything is very crusty tho, whereas my usual liquid leaves stuff soft (and we don't use fabric conditioner here). It didn't get ingrained mud stains out of some of Martha's clothes, but I think it is meant to gradually reduce staining.

I think I will used it on heavily soiled loads and stick to my lovely Persil for everything else.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:12 pm

northernruth wrote:I have gone and got us some Ariel powder, and all I can say is....IT STINKS!!!!!! You can smell it the minute you walk in the kitchen!!!!

But I tried it on a wash yesterday, and it got my grubby kitchen towels much cleaner than normal.

same here! our house smelt lovely at first but now im fed up with it lol windows open wide i think

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Smells like a bloomin launderette :giggle:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 pm

northernruth wrote:Smells like a bloomin launderette :giggle:

:hohoho:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
northernruth wrote:Smells like a bloomin launderette :giggle:

:hohoho:

Thought you were going to bed moody :wink: :whip:

My avatar
Salbysea
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Salbysea » Thu May 13, 2010 10:45 pm

very interesting

I usually use ecover liquid but find I need to strip wash a lot, got the ecover non bio powder recently and everything is much fresher and not needing strip washes. I have a bottle of the liquid at the mo but once that's used up I will switch permanently to the boxes of powder - only prob is the powder runs out much sooner than the liquid I find

I also avoided bio but might use it a bit more now

has anyone tried tots bots potion - any good?

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies