hf1

Advice from an expert on washing detergent

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Advice from an expert on washing detergent

Postby Caroline » Fri May 14, 2010 7:01 am

I tried Potion and had to strip the nappies. Every time Max peed in the nappies, they stank! I'm now trialling the Thirsties wash which says it leaves no build up but you cant use on hand dyed textiles.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri May 14, 2010 8:58 am

ladybird wrote:Following Ken's advice (I played a big part in some of his threads on Netmums way back when...), I switched to using what was then called Aquados, over Ecover. I still use it (although it's now called Simply) and also for the dishwasher. He tried to get info from Ecover and got a big fat nothing, he met up with the people behind Aquados and found them very helpful. I've used their stuff for years now, love it, have no problems with it and notice no difference between it and the rare occasion I've run out and reached for something else. The bio is fine as well as the non-bio. I buy it online and if you buy in bulk you get discounts and free packets http://www.simplywashing.com

I've just looked at this - have tried their washing tablets before but found clumps stuck to the clothes. I will give them another try & their dishwasher stuff too - free delivery is fab too :wine:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri May 14, 2010 9:04 am

I put the tablets in the drawer, not in the drum. And I give them a little squidge before putting them in too as I bulk buy so they sort of harden in storage, the squidge just loosens them a little. When they've hardened then they don't go through the wash so well and I've found a bit left in the drawer sometimes. I only use one for each wash.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri May 14, 2010 9:18 am

ladybird wrote:I put the tablets in the drawer, not in the drum. And I give them a little squidge before putting them in too as I bulk buy so they sort of harden in storage, the squidge just loosens them a little. When they've hardened then they don't go through the wash so well and I've found a bit left in the drawer sometimes. I only use one for each wash.

Thanks for that. I was putting 2 in the drum without squishing them :giggle: . I'll def try again though as I though they were such good value when I bought them last in the supermarket. How do you find their wishwasher stuff? :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri May 14, 2010 9:53 am

We get on great with the dishwasher stuff. We do still use salt and rinse aid though (I buy Ecover's rinse aid).

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 am

Sainsbury's stock the Simply range as well (at least my big local branch does anyway), and I just happened to buy a tub yesterday of the Pure Hypoallergenic tabs, before I saw this thread. Just had a quick look at the Simply website and they're currently not taking any new orders due to 'unprecendented demand', so that sound like a good sign! :)

Thanks for the squidging and drawer advice! :D I'll give them a try and see how they go. We've used liquid for years and I think my machine is pretty gummed up as a result :shock:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed May 26, 2010 10:58 am

Fliblet wrote:Sainsbury's stock the Simply range as well (at least my big local branch does anyway), and I just happened to buy a tub yesterday of the Pure Hypoallergenic tabs, before I saw this thread. Just had a quick look at the Simply website and they're currently not taking any new orders due to 'unprecendented demand', so that sound like a good sign! :)

Thanks for the squidging and drawer advice! :D I'll give them a try and see how they go. We've used liquid for years and I think my machine is pretty gummed up as a result :shock:

Lol, the power of internet forums. :giggle:

I stocked up yesterday at Sainsbury's just in case.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed May 26, 2010 11:08 am

Fliblet wrote:Sainsbury's stock the Simply range as well (at least my big local branch does anyway), and I just happened to buy a tub yesterday of the Pure Hypoallergenic tabs, before I saw this thread. Just had a quick look at the Simply website and they're currently not taking any new orders due to 'unprecendented demand', so that sound like a good sign! :)

Do you do maintenance washes? Hottest possible wash, bio powder (or even no powder), nothing in the machine. That will help clean out any gunk!

My avatar
Fliblet
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Fliblet » Wed May 26, 2010 11:14 am

Yeah I do do the occasional maintenance wash, but maybe not often enough! To be fair, we've had the machine for 9 and a half years now, so it's getting on a bit :D I'm thinking that before I put all my lovely new nappies in there, I'll yank the drawer out to give that a good clean by hand then run the thing empty on 90 to give it a good ol' blitz :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies