hf1

Dh used softner... help!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Dh used softner... help!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:51 pm

Ok so I shouldn't complain because he washed the nappies without being asked. I did manage to save the wraps from the dryer and turn the heat down... but when I took the nappies out I realised they were overly soft (which wasnt due to them being tumbled dry from wet :-? )

So what can I do? I've popped them on for another wash but do I need to strip them??

Any advice

Thanks

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Dh used softner... help!

Postby Annette » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:58 pm

TBH if it is just the once, I would use them. Just be aware that they may not be quite as absorbent as usual. But I bet you won't notice the difference. The softener coats the fibres with grease which repels the liquid but if you have washed them then most of it will have come out. HTH

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Oh and smile sweetly at dh saying "thanks very much darling but leave the nappies to me in future" :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 pm

I think our DHs are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes. Just one little 'mistake' that hasn't done any real harm, and he gets out of doing nappy washes for the rest of your nappy-using life together :lol:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:14 pm

Amanda wrote:I think our DHs are smarter than we give them credit for sometimes. Just one little 'mistake' that hasn't done any real harm, and he gets out of doing nappy washes for the rest of your nappy-using life together :lol:

It is soooooo true. Mark says he is scared to put the nappy wash on otherwise he would do it. even when he takes them off the line, he leaves them piled neatly in a basket for me to put together as he doesn't know what goes with what :giggle:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:59 am

Phewee - I thought I would have a marthon washing and re-washing session ahead of me!

The funny thing is when he asked a while ago how to wash the nappies - I said if he washed them on 60 then the few times that he would do the washing the nappies would get a 'good' wash. He remembered that bit! I was going to put a note up in the laundry room with instructions.... maybe I will :wink:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 am

Hope they are ok. My DH actually knows how to do the nappy wash but he wouldn't have a clue when it come to putting them together!!!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:58 am

Yeah i bet they will just fine from only one does of softner :) My hubbs knows the nappy routine well but still doesnt do it...mind I really prefer it that way :wink:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Well the verdict is - they are not too bad. But I think they will take more than one wash to get the conditioner out, I bought some concentrated softner and DH filled the drawer up...so they probably had 4 or 5 times the dose :x

So I've now written on the conditioner bottle how much to use - he tries hard to help, but he'll do stuff like wash 3 or 4 loads in quick succession so I then have to spend hours trying to catch up and dry the stuff.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies