hf1

Mum washed my BGs with Softener :(

My avatar
sharkmunchies
Clothie
Clothie

Mum washed my BGs with Softener :(

Postby sharkmunchies » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Please help. I'm so annoyed about this, my mum washed 4 BGs, 1 wonderoo, 1 blueberry and a pop-in with softener. :x I've soak the inners over night in white vinegar, I've boil washed them, stripped them and rinsed so many times but every time they're dry and I test them (against 2 BGs which didn't get washed that day) they're just repelling water, it's beading off!! My pop-in was the only one I managed to get back to normal. All the velcro on the outers aren't sticky anymore either :(

Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix them!?! What breaks down softener?!?! Any suggestions, please chuck em my way coz I'll try anything!!

Thank you!

Julie

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Mum washed my BGs with Softener :(

Postby karenandgeorgia » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:39 pm

A little washing up liquid will break through the grease of the softener :hug:

My avatar
MrsWeirdo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby MrsWeirdo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:51 pm

karenandgeorgia wrote:A little washing up liquid will break through the grease of the softener :hug:

Yup, WSS, or a dishwasher tablet apparently so I've heard never tried it mysekf though...

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:54 pm

is the water beading on the fleece? if you've done a strip wash then i'd jsut try them , moisture can bead on fleece - it sometimes needs the pressure of babies bum to go through

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:55 pm

I agree with Karen. When my fleece liners became clogged with nappy cream (thanks, DH! :roll: ) I just hand-washed them using a small amount of washing up liquid (a blob on each liner!), rinsed them out, then popped them in a normal nappy wash to remove any residues. Worked a treat. :)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:17 pm

TBH I shouldn't think that one wash with softener shouldn't do any lasting damage, should wash out and probably won't hugely affect the absorbency. I would give them a go and see how you get on, just keep an eye. I occasionally have put a little softener in with my nappies when I was using 2 parters to try to soften them up a bit as I don't have a tumble dryer, and didn't really notice an impact on absorbency.

My avatar
sharkmunchies
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sharkmunchies » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for your replies :) I should have clarified that my mum basically drowned them in softener! She uses loads!! The water is beading off the fleece and the inners, I have to push (literally! PUSH!) the liquid into the inners with my finger, it won't sink in at all the water just sits there. :cry:

I've tried washing up liquid on my outers (didn't want to put them through any more stress by using vinegar) but it didn't seem to work, although water will sink through the outers easier than the inners. Should I scrub them both with fairy and leave them over night?!

I know I can sort the outers, a quick go in the tumble drier will sort the velcro (which is so unsticky it's infuriating!) but the inners seem to be so water proofed I'm concerned that that's it, I'll just have to replace them (which I can't afford to do!) Woe is me!

I'm actually boil washing them now so when they're dry tomorrow I'll attack them with fairy! :)

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:19 pm

the liquid into the inners with my finger, it won't sink in at all the water just sits there.

fleece can be like that - but when baby is wearing them the liquid will flow through -

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Honestly, I would just give them a try and see how they perform. Softener will certainly wash out completely over time, I wouldn't imagine it would cause any long term damage

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies