thinking of changing to bold 2 in 1 advice required please

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

thinking of changing to bold 2 in 1 advice required please

Postby angiepangie2809 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:33 am

hi ladies.
currently i wash ethans nappies in fairy non bio but ive read on here that bold 2 in 1 can be used as its clay based softener. i think i want to change over as i dont feel the fairy non bio cleans all that well. can you advise me on the amounts i need to use for a full load of nappies and liners? as i have read on here that the new bold 2 in 1 can make lots more soap suds so i dont want to have to keep re rinsing because ive used too much powder!
i currently wash the nappies by doing a prewash with no detergant and then a 60 degree wash with the fairy non bio as i tried washing his nappies on just a 40 degree wash and they was still very dirty (not just stains either) ive also been putting a capful of white vinigar in the softener cycle as we have hard water here and my nappies were crispy, so if i use bold 2 in 1 i assume i wont need to do that anymore....am i right? also i tend to put a teaspoon of ecover bleach powder in with the fairy non bio almost every wash (i have a huuuuuuuuuuuge rotation of nappies) :roll: . should i continue doing this if i switch to bold 2 in 1 or should i hold off and see if the bio washing powder is enough to clean them and keep them whiter by itself? any help or advice would be great!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: thinking of changing to bold 2 in 1 advice required please

Postby Louise » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:44 am

I use a tablespoon or so of Bold 2 in 1 as our water is very hard here too. I also still use tea tree oil and white vinegar in the softener compartment. I don't think any kind of bleach should regularly be used with nappies so I would only do that once in a while if the nappies are getting stained. I also use Magno balls as they really help to soften the water.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 am

I use about a table spoon too and do an extra rinse on every wash at the end. I also do a cold wash before I wash them for poos :giggle: Every now and again I'll do a few extra rinses at the end to try and make sure all the soap suds are out of them.

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:16 am

only a tablespoon of detergant! wow, ive been using a lot more than that! :oops:
i will stop using so much now then especialy with swapping to the bold!
thanks for the advice so far ladies

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:17 am

Louise wrote:I use a tablespoon or so of Bold 2 in 1 as our water is very hard here too. I also still use tea tree oil and white vinegar in the softener compartment. I don't think any kind of bleach should regularly be used with nappies so I would only do that once in a while if the nappies are getting stained. I also use Magno balls as they really help to soften the water.

i use teatree oil in the dry nappy bin. how much do you use in the softener compartment hun?
thanks

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:18 am

i use a table spoon too. a big box last ages! and thats with 2 boys in nappies and 6 of us altogether :wink:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:23 am

angiepangie2809 wrote:only a tablespoon of detergant! wow, ive been using a lot more than that! :oops:
i will stop using so much now then especialy with swapping to the bold!
thanks for the advice so far ladies

I know. I was using a TON of non-bio and my whites still looked dingy!

Also interested in how much white vinegar to use! :)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:26 am

angiepangie2809 wrote:i use teatree oil in the dry nappy bin. how much do you use in the softener compartment hun?
thanks

dawnsmummy wrote:Also interested in how much white vinegar to use! :)

A tbsp of vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:28 am

Must add some white vinegar to my shopping list. I'm guessing Malt vinegar won't work :giggle:

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies