stripping nightmare...HELP!!!

My avatar
lillamilla
Clothie
Clothie

stripping nightmare...HELP!!!

Postby lillamilla » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi,
I'm new here, but have been reading for a few days. I've been using cloth nappies (90% pockets) for 8months with my daughter and they started to smell for a while, even when they come out from the machine. As I was reading the washing section, I realized I made a lot of mistake with them. Now I'm trying to save them and do what I red in the topics.
I decided to do a stripping wash yesterday. I did a cold rinse, then put a normal washing cycle on 40 with full amount of detergent, 130ml (bold 2in1). I also pushed the extra rinse button. Since then I did 10(!!!) cold rinses and still more than just little bubbles. I'm really fed up with it! What did I do wrong???
I wanted to put the normal washing on 60, but I forgot....maybe that's the problem. On the box 130ml is for normal stain, medium water. Although it was only 3/4 full. Was the detergent too much and that what's driving me crazy?
Please help, what I should have done instead of this nightmare?

I've been reading a bit more about how I could fix this, and now I cleaned the plastic tray (sorry I forgot the exact word) and put a normal washing cycle on 60 without any detergent with extra rinse. I'm really hoping it's gonna help, because I'm more than ready to give it up. :cry: I just don't want to waist the time and energy I already put in it....

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: stripping nightmare...HELP!!!

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:52 pm

Giving your machine a good clean through can only be a good thing. When I do a strip wash I always use soda crystals rather than powder, I find it works better, I don't measure the amount just pour into the dispenser drawer :oops: .
Are you sure it is all soap bubbles when you ar :oops: rinsing, bubbles appear anyway with the water splashing about?

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:31 pm

i found i had a lot of bubbles when stripping nappies, then i found they were mainly by the door so i wiped them out with a cloth and found the next rinse was clear, so i'd be inclined to wash away any bubbles by the door in between rinses as it could fool u into thinking they were from the rinse and spin if that makes sense. worth a try for sure :-)

My avatar
lillamilla
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lillamilla » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for your tips!!! I'll try next time. The bubbles definitely came because of the detergent, because they were too many for being just water. I need to do another big nappy cleaning day soon, as I also have bum cream stuck in the nappies. I'll wash and rinse them with washing up liquid and do a stripping again. :evil:

I forgot to say, that after the 7th rinse, I took all the stuff out, and rinsed them with cold water one by one at the sink...about 40pieces, pocket outers and 2 inserts each. There wasn't too much difference. But after the full washing on 60 without detergent, they were quite good. I just did a last rinse and took them out. The bubbles were gone completely....nearly. :twisted:

Next time I'll definitely clean the machine first.

Now I have another bundle beeing washed with new fleece wipes and liners I made yesterday and a few nappies and lot of extra inserts. I put only 40ml bold and didn't forget to put it on 60 and will take them out to rinse by hand after this cycle to save time and energy.I'll see...

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:03 pm

I only use about a table spoon of bold powder for a wash. You REALLY don't need the ammount they claim :shock:
I do a wash at 40 if I have any wraps in, otherwise I've started to do a wash at 60. UNLESS I have pooey marks. Then I do a cold wash first, then I do the 40 or 60 wash. I press the extra rince button and I also do a rinse and spin. Sometimes I'll do a few.
I was about to say, use fleece liners if you use bum cream :giggle:
And, I use a table spoon of CHEAP bio, throw it in the drawer, and put the machine on the hottest wash (95 on mine) with NO CLOTHES OR NAPPIES in it. I like to think it helps clean my drum out. I only do it every now and again. I also do the extra rinse button on that too :)

My avatar
lillamilla
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lillamilla » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks Stacey!
I'm planning to do normal washes just how you suggested. Now I used the full amount of powder, because I red here I should do for strip washing. Maybe I shouldn't have done so. :shock:
Does it mean I can never wash fleece liners together with my nappies? What about the wipes which are full of oily solution? I know it's a different story, but....

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:42 pm

I just bang all mine in together :hohoho: When the fleece start looking a bit manky, I chuck them. I make my own :)

My avatar
lillamilla
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lillamilla » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:23 pm

But doesn't the oily solution in whipes damage the nappies during washing?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Well, not that I've noticed. And we have a tiny tiny tiny stash so I'd probably notice if one wasn't working right...
You could wash them with your normal clothes I guess, just in case. I don't often use a liner for Dawn now, only when she has cream on, as I need her to feel wet as were trying to attemp some form of potty training :cry:

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies