hf1

What is the best powder to use

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

What is the best powder to use

Postby becky1978 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:26 pm

I was using Bold 2 in 1, then Archie seemed to get a bad reaction to it (did I read somewhere that the formula changed?) so I switched back to Fairy non bio, but now i've read that this can cause reactions, and yes, he is still getting a rash.

Can you tell me what your 'best' powder for nappies is please, think he has sensitive skin, well he gets rashes quite a lot.

TIA

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: What is the best powder to use

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:30 pm

we've got super sensitive skin and for years I've avoided biological detergents and powders but...

We use Ariel biological powder and get no reactions...

You shouldn't in theory get a reaction to ANY detergent provided a) it has washed all the dirt out of your clothes so you're not reacting to that and b) you do a proper rinse cycle and NEVER EVER use the quick wash button... ;)
That said I know not all washing machines are as efficient as they should be...

I believe (after much research) the reason Ariel Bio works so well for us is
a) it doesn't contain optical brightners like liquid and nonbio detergents do.
b) it actually washes more efficiently
c) it rinses out well (ecover for example is hard to rinse out)...

That said I'm not over the moon about a)using biological detergent b)using a proctor&gamble detergent... :roll:

BioD detergent comes quite highly recommended but I've never tried it...

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Another vote for Ariel from me :D

I used to use non-bio for all my washing until I started using cloth nappies - I had to change as Nell was getting awful red rashes on her bum and legs. I've been very inpressed with how clean Ariel gets the nappies, but more so with the lack of any skin reaction :D

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:11 pm

We are using a mix of Ariel Bio, Fairy and Persil.

Not liking the Fairy on the nappies but its fine on lightly soiled clothes. Persil again is fine on clothes but i find i need to rinse more with with nappies. We recently bought a small amount of Ariel Bio for the first time and i am now preferring this to the non bio options so when i use the non bio up ill probably just use Ariel Bio :wink:

Sarah xx

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Charlootle » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:11 pm

I didn't realise powder was such a mine field! We've only just converted to cloth so have had no smells as yet but I obviously would rather avoid them. I've been using Ecover but might try Ariel Bio when I finish the box and see how Jaden is with it. DP reacts badly to Bio apparentely, but having read the stuff on here I'm not so sure, its opened my eyes a bit!

Charlotte & Jaden x

My avatar
Bluetomato
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Bluetomato » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:10 pm

I use ariel biological powder - Harrison got a terrible rash with non bio, so i switched to bio and ariel seems to be the best.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 pm

We currently use a mix of Fairy non-bio and Persil bio. I use the non-bio on lightly soiled clothes and occasionally on the nappies if they aren't overly pooey. Am thinking of trying out Ariel bio next as a lot of people recommend it and I do find Persil takes ages to rinse out no matter what amount I use. I have to do about 4 rinses at the moment :roll:

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies