Bi carb soda

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Bi carb soda

Postby mabo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:59 pm

beck wrote: and a splash of vinegar

What vinegar do people use? Just the normal white vinegar you use in cooking and making salad dressing?
Sorry but I'm a bit clueless, in Holland there is a special vinegar used for washing and descaling etc and definitely not for consuming, but have never seen it here in the UK so never sure what to use... :shock:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Yep just the normal white vinegar :D

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks! I will put it on the shopping list for next time... I only have flavoured vinegar at home to make dressings etc and although its tempting, I wouldnt want to put raspberry vinegar in with my nappies :lol:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:13 pm

Just make sure it's not the clear pickling vinegar. I nearly bought that once cos it came in a nice big bottle rather than the small one that the right white vinegar does.

Lucky I noticed, I dread to think what the nappies would have smelled like lol

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:40 pm

I thought you only needed vinegar if you were in a hard water area, and that it wasn't good for your PUL. THe idea of washing my inserts and nappies seperately from my pockets and wraps is just too much for me, so I don't bother with the vinegar.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:49 pm

I live in a fairly soft water area and have never used the vinegar. I think it is probably diluted enough in a washing machine to not damage the nappies or pul but then I don't know.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:00 pm

OK so vinegar is really only used to soften the nappies? In which case I might not need it... my nappies came out a bit smelly this morning, but I dont know if its just because I used a different detergent this time and am not used to them smelling different.

Hmmmm will give them another wash in the usual and see what happens!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Personally I find vinegar makes no difference to how soft the nappies are... BUT I do find it essential for combatting pongey nappies as it combats the ammonia in the wee... If I don't use it in even 1 wash we notice!!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:00 am

I'm not convinced about the softening properties of it either however as Steph says the vinegar actually helps to neutralize the urine so it definately helps with pongs. I have read things about it degrading pul and elastic quicker but that has been on US sites where they are talking about putting a cup or more of vinegar in. I literally put a splash, maybe a couple of tablespoons and all my nappies are fine!

Beck, it sounds like you need to strip your nappies darl', pop them in and give them a rinse in cold water then on a hot wash with a full does of powder then do a good few rinses until you see there are no bubbles left. After that I would recommend always doing a cold rinse before your wash, I was gobsmacked at the difference that this makes. Warm/hot water can set the smell of urine into your nappies so by rinsing them in cold first this stops that happening. I have never had a smelly nappy since doing this. Also how much powder are you using on your normal washes? I use 1/4 of recommended with a splash of vinegar and a few drops of TT oil and lavender and voila - fresh lovely nappies!

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies