hf1

Smelly nappies - nothing works!

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Smelly nappies - nothing works!

Postby becky1978 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:49 pm

It just seems I've tried everything, non bio, bio, 2 in 1, shop own, persil, fairy, ariel and it doesnt make a jot of difference. I know you didnt mean I was a cheapskate hun!!! :hug:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Although I am sometimes with some things! :giggle:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 pm

I used persil as it was on offer (normally use fairy) and my nappies stank...switched right back to fiary and they smelt fine...i think some powders just dont work with nappies :roll:

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:16 pm

becky1978 wrote:Although I am sometimes with some things! :giggle:

yeah me 2 :hohoho:

My avatar
hellsbells
Clothie
Clothie

Postby hellsbells » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi, sorry I am coming into this conversation a bit late! This is a method which seems to have worked well for a few people, so it may be worth a try. I would be really interested to know if it works for you.

To shift the problem initially I suggest the nappies are washed at 40 with the full normal amount of detergent for a heavily soiled load and that not too many nappies are put in so that there is plenty of room for the washing to swish around in the machine. You may wish to repeat this. Changing to a cheap non-bio detergent might help also (cheap detergents tend to have less additional ingredients in them to cause residue). Following the wash, a couple of rinses to get rid of excess suds.

Then to maintain the nappies I suggest the following routine: rinsing or cold prewashing with a full cup full of soda crystals and then wash at 40 with at least 2/3 of the recommended amount of detergent for soiled washing. People often interpret the 1/2 rec amount to be for a normal wash, when in fact nappies are a very soiled load compared with other laundry so it should be the recommended amount for heavy soiling at least.

HTH
Helen :-)

My avatar
purplehearts
Clothie
Clothie

Postby purplehearts » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 am

megansmummy wrote:I used persil as it was on offer (normally use fairy) and my nappies stank...switched right back to fiary and they smelt fine...i think some powders just dont work with nappies :roll:

Was that persil bio or non bio?
I am a *total* bio washing powder convert! I use Persil bio colour care (as no bleaching agents) - since I switched to that from fairy non bio I've had no issues at all with smelly nappies and stains nearly always come right out.

Previous

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies