hf1

Really Smelly Night Nappies

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Really Smelly Night Nappies

Postby Sunset » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:57 pm

Not sure if this is best here or in Night Nappies.

My night nappies absolutely stink in the morning, really badly of ammonia, they almost knocked me out this morning and I had to take it straight out the room as the smell was so bad.
They don't smell before they go on, and my other nappies are ok it's just the night ones. Is it normal because they have much more wee in them or not?
I'm trying wet pailing again today to see if I can somehow dilute the wee out of them before washing.
I'm loathed to do a special strip wash on the night nappies as I only have 6 and my others don't need stripping yet

Does everyones smell real strong of ammonia or it just me?

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Really Smelly Night Nappies

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:15 pm

i get that too hun, reminds me of cleaning out a rabbit hutch :puke: i'd love an answer to this too as it really don't mix well with morning sickness! i've tried stripping mine, rinsing in white vinegar, hot washing, more detergent, less detergent allsorts! it's really doing my head in now

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:23 pm

i had this too!but only on the nappy i brought prelovedit absolutly stank! made me feel sick but ive never had it with any other nappy!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:25 pm

i get it with my night nappies worse, and we have had nearly all of them from new. i'm thinking of trying a drop of washing liquid in the wash too this time then loads of spins and rinses after.

My avatar
FUZZIFAN
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby FUZZIFAN » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:56 pm

I had this too, horrendous stench :puke:

I stripped them and now wash my night nappies on a hot wash and I don't have the problem anymore :wine: For me personally, I don't think I was washing them hot enough before. I also wash them with two scoops of bambinex rather than ordinary detergent.

Nicky :happypixies:

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Thanks ladies, glad it's not just me

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:46 pm

i bombarded mine with allsorts.... i don't think they smell now :-) i cup of ariel, 3 ickle scoops of soda crystals a drop of washing liquid and a s*** load of vinegar. fingers are crossed. oh and i rinse+ them. lg large load washers gotta love em!

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby daydreamer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 pm

yes we have this too, a strip wash tends to treat it for a couple of weeks but then it starts to build up again :-?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:48 am

Same here. We could smell Tallin's downstairs by the morning, they were that bad. We now change him when we go to bed and things are *much* better. And I do a rinse on the nappies before putting them through a 60c wash.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies