hf1

Soap Flakes - do you still get build up?

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Soap Flakes - do you still get build up?

Postby squidsin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:58 pm

Well after three washes, I am quite impressed with the soap flakes' performance so far! But I was just wondering; do you get build-up the same as with detergent and so will the nappies still need stripping every couple of months or so?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Soap Flakes - do you still get build up?

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:38 pm

I believe soap flakes are quite bad like ecover for buildup...
I could be wrong though! See how it goes...

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby squidsin » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:19 am

Hmmm the nappies do feel ever so slightly soapy even when dry after just a couple of washes with the soap flakes, so I imagine this could affect their absorbency very soon! We will see. Damn it, my quest for an environmentally friendly washing method that actually, you know, CLEANS the nappies seems to be neverending! :lol:

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:36 am

I've been detergent-free for nearly 7 months now, and love it! :mrgreen: Though I did have to stop using our beloved Holden's Landing Bedbugs, as the soap flakes didn't seem to be able to cope with cleaning the thick inner core of them. But other nappies have been fine - and now that we're using pockets (stuffed with hemp inserts, microfibre, and cut in half bamboo terries) we don't have ANY problems with build up at all, and I've not yet had to strip them after about 2+ months of using the pockets.

My recipe I use is:

2 cups soap flakes
1 cup soda crystals
1 cup bicarbonate of soda
1 cup borax substitute

mix it all together and put it in a tub.

Then for each load of nappies (or our clothes!) I put 2 large tablespoons of the mix into the washing machine drawer and the nappies come out smelling fantastically clean. no purfume scent to them, but they're amazingly clean - far better than with any detergents I've used - and very good for ridding of stains too! I sooooo much prefer them now to with detergents, as I feel the nappies are actually TOTALLY clean - and no soap/detergent left behind. I just do a 60 degree time saver load with extra rinse, and they're ready to go!

One thing I would point out, is that the soap flakes can sometimes "glue" together in the dispenser drawer, and I've had a few times when the water came out the front from the flakes sticking together and not letting the water through. But I think that might have been when I was using just the soap flakes w/ a bit of soda crystals on their own, and not my proper mix. Because in general now, I've not had that happen for a while now. But you might need to do a boil wash every now and again with either a drop of bleach or some detergent just to give the machine a proper clean.

Hope it goes well for you! Benjamin's eczema has sooo much improved (left certain places of his body) since cutting out detergent & other nasty chemicals in the house.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:48 am

what do you use as a borax substitute?

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 am

It's actually called "Borax substitute"! :giggle: Sold by Dri-Pack, who do various natural cleaning stuff and boxes of bicarbonate of soda, etc. I think it's hard to get actual Borax here in the UK (or so we were told) because I think it is used in food by Chinese people (perhaps?) so it was kind of removed from sale/made hard to get, to prevent it being used in food, maybe since it wasn't food grade, or risk of poison. Don't really know, but it's the borax substitute I find in shops here, so that's what i use. :)

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies