hf1

washing temperature

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

washing temperature

Postby beck » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:42 am

HI, just wanted to know what others do when washing their nappies. Do you hot wash your nappies all of the time, or just every now an then. Do they need to be hot washed all the time?

Thanks again

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:48 pm

I started out always washing at 60 degrees as that is what I had read. But to be honest I mostly wash at 40 degrees with 1 tablet of Fairy Non Bio and don't have any particular problems with smells or stains (nothing the sun doesn't fix anyway). Occasionally if the nappies seem particularly dirty - although mostly these days Charlotte is on solids and the fleece liner catches all the poo and it just plops down the toilet - I do a 60 wash but not often.

I also dry pail as I couldn't be bothered with all that soaking and lugging around buckets of heavy wet nappies.

Annette

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:10 pm

I stick mine in on a cold rinse first then a 60 degree wash- the only thing I find is that repeated hot washes can fade some colours. I started out 40 degree washing with napisan but ran out and couldn't get hold of any more so started the hot washes instead.

I also dry pail but I rinse stinky nappies out first.

Cat.xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:58 pm

Beck, you've probably got a top loader have you? I know most people in Oz do so if thats the case you won't have degree settings on your machine. A 'hot' wash on a top loader is taken from your hot water tank which most are set between 40 and 55 degrees (you can probably check what yours is at so you know!) I think this is how they work anyway!! hths

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:01 am

NA NA NA NA NA...
we have an industrial toploader LOL. need it with this lot to keep clean.

It doesn't have degree marks but since the thermostat for the hot water is set at 60 degrees that's what a HOT wash is. And since warm is a bit more than half of hot that's what I class as 40 degrees, and of course cold speaks for itself LOL---0degrees.

I love my toploader and wouldn;t go back to a frontloader- EVER. No fighting the nappies into the machine just tip the bucket over- except you do have to make sure the load is evenly spread otherwise it tries to dance out the laundry...

Cat.xx

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:17 am

thanks everyone for your advice, just had a look at the hot water system and it just says low medium & high, Ours is set at high. So i really have no idea, Should i maybe just do a hot wash anyway or that could be to hot, so i should do medium. oh this is all just to confusing!!!! :shock:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:29 am

Beck, even if your water is set on 'hot' I can't imagine that it would be more than 60 as thats too dangerous to come out of taps iyswim!! Have you got a termomieter that goes that high that you could test it with???

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies