nappy washing nightmare

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

nappy washing nightmare

Postby ktinkley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:10 am

I can't get them clean!!

They go through a 60 wash with about a tblsp of bio powder, 400 spin, then 40 wash no powder 400 spin, then at least 2 rinses - they don't seem to smell when they come out of the washing machine - not always anyway, but if I put them in the drier, they stink when they come out :x

I don't know what to do - I stripped them with vinegar and soda crystals in the machine about a month ago. I seem to be giving them more and more rinses - I've run the machine at 95 empty and checked the manual - it doesn't seem to have a fluff filter.

I'm stumped - I've just chucked the latest load in a bucket of dilute bleach cos I'm running out of ideas - have stuck dd in emergency prefolds, though I only have 4 wraps so am going to struggle for more than a day.

Can any of you lovely ladies help? She has got super strength teething wee, but it's the smell when they're coming out of the machine that's worrying me, rather than once she's wee'd in them. :(

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: nappy washing nightmare

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:16 am

What sort of machine do you have?
I was always baffled by my machine not having a fluff filter, and nothing mentioned in the manual - but after googling the model number it seems that there's a fluff filter somewhere out the back that you virtually have to get an engineer out to get at it :x

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:18 am

I use tea tree oil in our washes and that usually helps with the smell of our nappies (Aimie is toxic at the moment too :puke: ) I also soak the nappies in the oil before washing too. Not sure what else to recommend but it sounds like they need another strip wash

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:41 am

hmmm. just googled the machine and it appears there is a filter somewhere ruond the back - sounds as though you can get to it, though not too easily.

just recovering from a horrible d&v bug, so won't be doing anything about it for a couple of days - DH is away and I'm no way up to moving the washign machine, but when I feel better I'll do that.

I read somewhere that there were some issues about using t tree in the wash all the time - something to do with hormones?

My avatar
Saskia
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Saskia » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:50 am

I always do a cold rinse first to get the wee out and excess poo off. Starting with a hot wash can set the ammonia smell and stains into the fabric.

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 am

Definitely a rinse (or two) in cold water before doing a main wash :wink:

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:57 am

Will have a go at a cold rinse then - it's weird tho - we haven't had any problems at all til the last couple of months - that's why I'm wondering if it's the filter.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

A&P powders helps the stinky wee (and any other teething symptoms) we find, or chamomilla powder if you can't get hold of them. I always put the nappies on a rinse cycle and then a hot wash cycle. Can you get them out on the line to dry instead of using the dryer, that might help too.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:10 pm

ladybird wrote:A&P powders helps the stinky wee (and any other teething symptoms) we find, or chamomilla powder if you can't get hold of them. I always put the nappies on a rinse cycle and then a hot wash cycle. Can you get them out on the line to dry instead of using the dryer, that might help too.

wss, mine stink in the dryer too (toxic teething wee :puke:) but smell lovely after a line dry :D

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies