Smelly Nappies

My avatar
emneva
Clothie
Clothie

Smelly Nappies

Postby emneva » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Any advice?

My nappies smell! When we get them out to wash them the smell is horrendous!!! Its like ammonia. I recently stripped them in a bath of vinegar and water but this didnt work.

Any other suggestions? Has anyone tried washing up liquid?

Thanks

Emma :D

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Smelly Nappies

Postby kt24 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Oh No. This happened to us too. :(

There are two main reasons why your nappies might smell. One is washing powder residue the other is that the nappies are not getting clean enough. What you need to do depends on your current washing regime.

For example is residue is the problem the best way to get it out I found was a few long, hot washes with no powder. I found this more effective than just doing extra rinses. We had a dreadful problem with some own brand powder which left a terrible residue that took me ages to get out. :evil: :evil:

If you usually was at 40 degrees or use non-bio then a wash at 60 degrees with bio powder might help to get them really clean.

One final thing make sure you aren't over-loading your machine as this can add to residue problems.

HTH

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:33 pm

TBH ours are always pretty eye watering when getting them from the bucket to the machine, but don't smell when they are on or when the lid is on the bucket so I don't worry about it. Do they only smell in the bucket? As long as they don't smell once out of the machine or when being worn, I wouldn't worry.

If they smell when they have just been washed then as Katie says, they are not getting properly clean - a cold rinse helps as a hot wash can actually fix the smells into the fabric. If they smell alright when washed but smell when weed on then it is likely to be a detergent problem.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:04 am

Make sure your machine is clean too - do you do a regular maintenance wash (full 90c with bio powder and nothing in the drum) as the gunge and gunk can clog up in pipes out of site (and smell) so the machine won't work to full potential. I find this really makes a difference in my machine.

I strip nappies using bicarb instead of powder and then a good glug of vinegar in the softener compartment.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:17 am

We had that once when Louis was teething and I changed my washing routine which fixed it straight away. Before I was just doing a long 60 wash. I then started always doing a short COLD rinse first (as pp said hot water can fix the smells in) then a 40 or 50 or 60 wash (depending on what was in the bucket!!) with 1/4 dose of powder/tablet and a dash of vinegar with a few drops of lavender or tt oil. Never had a smell since! hths! :D

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:59 pm

I am having this problem at the moment. The nappies don't smell when just washed or when just taken off Zach but the nappies are eye watering when they have been left for a while.

I had just changed to Bold and was convinced this was the reason so last weekend I rinsed/washed/rinsed all my nappies again in fairy but they still stink. I have come to the decision that it is Zach doing awful wee's and I try to get the nappies in the washer as quickly as possible without breathing through my mouth :-)

My avatar
emneva
Clothie
Clothie

Postby emneva » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:38 pm

jules070603 wrote: I have come to the decision that it is Zach doing awful wee's and I try to get the nappies in the washer as quickly as possible without breathing through my mouth :-)

HEHEHE me too its like one, two, three and stick them in!!! :D :lol:

I tried to wash them on hot a few times but then my DH took them out before I put a little detergent in (I was at work) so they smell a little odd but dont smell of wee anymore so we will see how it goes!!

Thanks for all your advice ladies

Emma x

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 pm

a real eyewaterer last night....phew...it was terrible!!!! :evil: and he woke up and i had to take him and the whiff into my bed!

i think it may be time to strip may nappies again!

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:38 pm

Shevi I meant to ask if he was waking to wee? I bet you could leave his nappy off until he wakes again...

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies