keeping nappies nice!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

keeping nappies nice!

Postby littlesez » Tue May 04, 2010 6:17 am

I always wash at 60 becasue I just feel like 40 wouldn't kill the bacteria or really get them very clean :-? I dont tumble dry just line or airing cupboard. I use an eco powder. My nappies always seem quite bobbled :( What does everyone else do? How do you keep your nappies lokking so good :hohoho: Maybe it is because I have a small stash (less than 30 nappies) and so they get washed loads :-?

What do you think guys x

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: keeping nappies nice!

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue May 04, 2010 7:01 am

i have a large ish stash and find some of mine get a bit manky looking, i try and line every nappy now and am thinking i need some cuddlesoft liners next in an attempt to keep them nice. i love my nappies to be all fluffy though and am guilty of a tesco tumble dryer sheet in with a 15 min tumble, never affected them here and just feel nicer on t's bum. if i have to get tough with inserts i do a very rare 90 wash but this is generally a last resort, a 90 or bin wash type thing.x

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Tue May 04, 2010 7:04 am

I only wash at 40 tbh. I found that 60 was destroying all my nappies, tots bots in particular. I also am guilty of tumble drying to :lol:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 am

I wash at 50, I'm lucky to have a variable temp knob :wink: but I would wash at 60 if I didn't as I think all undergarments should be washed at higher than 40 to kill any possible bacteria.
I do tumble for about 15 minutes most times too, just to soften up as lots of my nappies feel quite crunchy otherwise and I love how soft and fluffy they feel when they're tumbled :D
Whilst I have a large stash there are definitely nappies which get used lots more than others as I don't use them in a rotation where they all get used, but use what goes with Missy's outfits :wink:

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:17 am

I always use fleece liner with my nappies so that helps. I tend to 60 degree wash more in the winter to get rid of stains as theres no sun. In the summer i tend to 40 degree wash more if i can get away with it and then line dry them...i always put them in the tumble dryer for 20 mins tho at the end to fluff them up and keep them soft....not so much the pockets, mainly any fitteds! Iw wahs in a small amount of bold 2 in 1, some drops of tea tree and or lavender oil to the final rinse. I also add a tiny amount of ecover laundry bleach in with the bold 2 in 1 too....this stuff ive found is great!....ive actualy got no stains on my nappies....some of the fleece inners on the pockets may be a little grey but thats more to do with the fact that they were preloved and came to me that way....especialy the fuzzis......x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue May 04, 2010 7:28 am

I always use a fleece or minkee liner and also always wash at 60oc...some of mine have bobbled, i try and line dry/sun the nappies as often as possible but we are in a hard water area and so they do occasionally get a balst in the dryer to shoften them a bit :)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue May 04, 2010 8:10 am

I usually use a minkee liner, wash at 60 and tumble to get the final dampness of and fluffy up. Don't use and eco powder, we started using ecover but it made them stink something awful!

My avatar
Orchid
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Orchid » Tue May 04, 2010 8:29 am

I don't tumble dry cos we don't have one. I just did a 40 degree wash with 4 pooey nappies in (sorry if tmi) with Simply sensitive and everything has come out sparkling. We don't use liners either but may get some minkee ones. We do get bobbling so I might get some washing net bags for the obv dyed ones. Maybe you could try that? Am going to sun them today cos it's lovely outside :D And if they're really hard after they have dryed I rub them together and that softens them up a bit x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue May 04, 2010 8:34 am

I don't tumble dry mine either and usually wash at 60 and don't have any problems. I do have a rather large stash though. :oops: I use fleece liners with most of my fitteds and my pockets are all minkee/cuddlesoft lined.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies