hf1

Sorry another stripping question...

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Sorry another stripping question...

Postby cazza1982_123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:13 am

Hello, Sorry basically another stripping question! LO's nappies are really whiffy - i.e. to the point where they smell almost fishy its awful. I tried stripping a while back. I use the eco non bio tabs and washed soooo many times but his nappies (esp his night nappies smell terrible). I went shopping yesterday and the lady helping me pack (I apologised to her for the smell and she thought he'd had a salmon sandwich!) commented so since then I've put him in some nappies he doesn't wear very often and they don't smell. But his itti's, fuzzi's and others smell awful. Is all hopelost or can these be salvaged? I love cloth napies but OH is getting hacked off with the smell. Should I used a different detergent?

Please help! thanks x x

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Sorry another stripping question...

Postby beck » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:38 am

I'd give them a wash in cap of Vinegar and bicarb soda and rinse rinse rinse. Sounds like a detergent build up to me.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:43 am

beck wrote:I'd give them a wash in cap of Vinegar and bicarb soda and rinse rinse rinse. Sounds like a detergent build up to me.

WSS. If you are stripping in the with powder in the future though it is best to use biological. How much powder do you put in for an ordinary nappy wash? And how many rinses do you do?

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:55 am

Does sound like some serious build up. One tablet IMO is too much for a nappy wash, I use soapnuts or 1/4 the amount of a normal dose of detergent (so that would behalf one tablet at most)
Has your machine had a maintenance wash recently? If not Id do one (hottest wash, nothing in the machine) and then strip all the nappies, ie a full load of biological powder on 60 and then rinse over and over and over....sound like it will probably take a while to get them bubble free though!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:13 am

i find soda crystals best for stripping, use a full dose of them or powder. TBH eco detergents makes nappies smell awful so that could be the problem combined with build up. i used ecover for a while and constantly thought the dog had blown off :giggle: So i would switch to a bio, a lot of us use bold 2in1 as it has a clay based softener in it which is safe to use in cloth. As some one above said a cap of white vinegar can be used in the softener drawer.

How much powder do you use? You on;y need a couple of tablespoons for nappies and more is too much, also do a cold rinse before your wash so wash goes

1. cold rinse
2. wash, I always wash at 60 degrees
3. couple of extra rinses or until all bubbles have gone
4. I always do an extra spin on all my washing, you would be amazed at how much it takes of drying time :wink:

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cazza1982_123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replies - Yes I think I will change detergents. A full load normally asks for two of these tabs so thats why I use one but thinking about it, its probably too much! Whats the best bio detergent to use?

I will buy some vinegar (is it white vinegar?) but I'm not sure where to buy this from! Silly me. Also does anyone know where I can get soda crystals? Am thinking of putting him in eco-disposables for a while whilst I get these nappies stripped. They just smell so bad and when I sometimes bring LO into our bed for a feed early morning the nappies have started making our room smell of wee - how awful. Thanks for the info it has been really helpful. I think this is going to be a big stripping mission this week! x x :roll:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:50 pm

White vinegar is in the supermarket next to the normal malt vinegar you put on your chips - I think it's usually labelled as "distilled malt vinegar" and is just a clear version of the chippy stuff.

And if line drying in this weather (assuming you have the sun we've had for the past few weeks) then you can turn your spin speed right down and stuff is still dry within the day - if not within an hour or so lately. The spin is the most costly part of a machine cycle so saving money as well ;)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Just a thought, but what sort of nappies are you getting the smell in? We found anything synthetic held smell far worse than natural materials.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:01 pm

didn't know that about the spin cycle Shadow, thanks for thatm maybe just keep that one for winter drying.

Soda crystal can be bought from the washing powder isle, the come in those little bag or a box, usually near the vanish powder and stuff x

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies