hf1

Sorry another stripping question...

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Sorry another stripping question...

Postby cazza1982_123 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Ooooh thanks I will pick some up tomorrow when I visit the supermarket... LO's itti's smell awful and his fuzzi's don't smell too good either but not as bad (I stuff these with ep hemp, p'tit dessous and sometimes prefolds). One of his LHC's doesn't smell very nice and his night nappies - bedbugs and minki inner and outer WNNN just smell horrendous. I am also worried that LO isn't drinking enough because his nappies aren't as wet as they used to be - could his urine be more concentrated contributing to the smell? I bf him on demand (normally feeds around every 3 hours) and offer him water often but sometimes he'll gulp water down and other times pushes it away even though I would have thought he would have been thirsty. He prefers water to juice.

I didn't know about the spin cycle. When I was LOs nappies I usually do two rinses, one 60 degree wash, another two rinses and a spin. So looking forward to getting this problem sorted because I love cloth nappies but the stench has been putting me off! My mum told me to soak them all in a bin of Napisan which I didn't think wold help the problem at all.

xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:13 pm

fc it works, may take a couple of strips but I'm sure you will get there xx

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I'd been having problems with our night nappies just reeking! I did the soda crystal wash that I'd seen Kirsty recommend and it worked a treat. I only did it once and the smell has gone altogether.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Caroline wrote:I'd been having problems with our night nappies just reeking! I did the soda crystal wash that I'd seen Kirsty recommend and it worked a treat. I only did it once and the smell has gone altogether.

:wine: :D

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:26 pm

ladybird wrote:The spin is the most costly part of a machine cycle so saving money as well ;)

I didnt know that! I use the spin on my machine loads, often for spinning out woollies. I've always thought the spin didnt use much electric, and didn't see the point in turning the speed down. I thought the water heating element used the most. Thanks! Will be turning the spin down on dry days from now on!

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cazza1982_123 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks again for the tips. I have been rinsing my nappies for almost 3 days now - that was some serious detergent build up!! There's just a couple of bubbles left now so I think they're almost done. This has probably cost a fortune! No spinning at the end of this! x

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:30 pm

ooo just a thought - I used to soak DD3's night nappies in the bucket and the smell was horrible. Not quite as bad as you said but really strong wee stench. We went over to dry pailing, putting 5/6 srops of tea tree oil in the bottom and washing every 2 days. We are now stench free!! :D It might help to keep the smell down in between strips

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cazza1982_123 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks for tips! I do dry pail although will try the tea tree. Did the stripping of the nappies - rinsed for 5 days. Really thought they'd be ok but the first itti I put on him smelt really strange - a bit uriney but also a bit sewer like - not nice. He wore a WNNN last night and the stench of urine upstairs this morning was awful. Really considering giving up cloth or at least keeping him in eco-sposies overnight - I just can't bear it! Might try and strip them again and see what happens. :roll: :cry:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi :idea:

It is quite normal for there to be a strong smell of urine in the morning if lo is teething. What did you end up stripping the nappies with & what method did you use?

I had a problem last week with dd getting nappy rash & I realised her liners were in a desperate need of stripping. It took me 2 days to strip those liners & although they are better now I think they need another strip. Maybe strip the nappies again as you were using quite a lot of detergent on them.

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies