My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Stinky nappies, not build up....

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:47 pm

paintedclaws wrote:How about some Zoflora... Mmmm yummy. :p

*Ducks out the way quick*

Are you using the same amount of nappies? Or maybe more fitteds... I find i have to get the balance right between powder/nappies depending on whether i've been using more fitteds or pockets. The water pressure in the flat was terrible too and it would take more rinses to get everything smelling of nothing. Is Roo teething again? I've been adding more powder and rinsing lots after to kill the teething smells, her night nappies have been awful this past week and its really tested the nappy wash.

Ooh yes Zoflora why didnt I think of all those lovely chemicals I could rot his bot off with :hohoho:

I never know when he's teething. He just gets up and has a new tooth :shock: Now I come to think of it though I have been using a few more fitteds and with 2-3 stinking night nappies too maybe I do need to use more powder to get the smells gone.....I can see a few weeks of experiments coming up.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 pm

i use a desert spoon of....shhh bold 2 in 1, nappies have no stink to them, even after being peed in. i wash on 40, extra rinse

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:18 pm

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:i use a desert spoon of....shhh bold 2 in 1, nappies have no stink to them, even after being peed in. i wash on 40, extra rinse

I have all sorts of washing powder in my cupboards including some bold as I used to use that. I think we have tesco naturally, bold, ariel bio, bold liquid and a small amount of daz too!

I think I have washing powder addiciton as well as nappy! :oops:

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 pm

lol we should be neighbours, i got erm maybe 20-25 litres of various comfort fabric conditioner in my cupboard.lol

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 pm

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:lol we should be neighbours, i got erm maybe 20-25 litres of various comfort fabric conditioner in my cupboard.lol

:shock: :giggle: :giggle:
I don't have any, can I have some? :wink:
I use bold 2in1 as well x

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:29 pm

JenKyleandKaitlin wrote:
paintedclaws wrote:How about some Zoflora... Mmmm yummy. :p

*Ducks out the way quick*

Are you using the same amount of nappies? Or maybe more fitteds... I find i have to get the balance right between powder/nappies depending on whether i've been using more fitteds or pockets. The water pressure in the flat was terrible too and it would take more rinses to get everything smelling of nothing. Is Roo teething again? I've been adding more powder and rinsing lots after to kill the teething smells, her night nappies have been awful this past week and its really tested the nappy wash.

Ooh yes Zoflora why didnt I think of all those lovely chemicals I could rot his bot off with :hohoho:

I never know when he's teething. He just gets up and has a new tooth :shock: Now I come to think of it though I have been using a few more fitteds and with 2-3 stinking night nappies too maybe I do need to use more powder to get the smells gone.....I can see a few weeks of experiments coming up.

Yep, definitely a bit more powder if you're using more fitteds now. I wish Poppy did that with her teething, yes she wakes up with a new one poking through but my goodness do we know about it allll night.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:43 pm

I do a rinse, wash at 40c with powder, then another rinse. I use Bold 2 in 1 - normally about 50ml although we have really hard water so I'm experimenting with a bit more as I have had a few smelly nappies lately. I did find when using eco balls that they didn't work so well after a couple of weeks.

I did a hot maintenance wash yesterday and then a 60c wash with ecoballs today and the nappies seem very fresh, but they aren't dry yet so I can't tell what they'll be like once they get peed in :|

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Kirstyh wrote:
*tinkerbellarella* wrote:lol we should be neighbours, i got erm maybe 20-25 litres of various comfort fabric conditioner in my cupboard.lol

:shock: :giggle: :giggle:
I don't have any, can I have some? :wink:
I use bold 2in1 as well x

it's the way i shop see, i make a list of all i need, forget the list and double up. trouble is that means i have 5 family sized things of bold 2 in 1, and the 4 or 5 5litre things of comfort, love the smell on bedding see.

u think that's bad?

i bought 6 48 *i think* tablet boxes of finish powerball dishwasher tablets the other day. well, the were mis priced at 2.49 a pack.

i also bought t 16 tins of baby milk when it was on offer. i got a funny look though going thru the checkout...

My avatar
CharlottesClan
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby CharlottesClan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:02 am

my machine is crap. :x its the landladys so nothing i can do about it.
this is what we have to do

cold rinse, prewash and full cycle at 60deg, rinse, rinse, hold (my machine has a hold button which allows me to leave them soaking in a full drum of water) rinse then extra spin.
we have to alternate between three different powders (sainsburys bio, ecover and bold 2in1) as each one seems to get residues out of the last powder used if u see what i mean.
i strip wash once a month with a ecover dishwasher tablet too, and clean the machine once a fortnight.

its taken about 9 months to get this cycle spot on. god help me if the machine goes now and i need a new one!!
:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

what helped when ds had really bad nappies was to rinse the night nappies first on their own before putting the rest into the machine. more space for them to move around i think\

i hate having to wash like this, but i cant replace the machine she wont let me, and i cant afford to move, and no way am i using disposables. lesser of evils i suppose :lookround:

Previous

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies