hf1

Not feeling the soapnut love

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Not feeling the soapnut love

Postby emmalala » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:41 pm

I just can't seem to get on with these :( they don't seem to be making the clothes clean or the nappies anymore

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Not feeling the soapnut love

Postby angelsquidge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Are you using a fresh batch?

I used to love Soapnuts and used to get them from Treehuggaz as Emma worked with us at UDN. The supplier for them changed and what was then being supplied had a horrible smell (the first ones didn't smell at all) and left everything a yellowy colour so I gave up on them too :(

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:21 pm

i got them from babybots. they don't smell of anything really. my stuff just does'nt seem clean, t-shirts are still grubby round the necks whereas bold would have washed that out :?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Pooh :(

What about giving everything the once over with some detergent to get the deep down grubby marks out then try again with the soap nuts? Maybe things have just got a bit too ingrained for them to clean?

What temperature do you wash at? I couldn't wash below 40 when I used soap nuts.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:49 pm

angelsquidge wrote:Are you using a fresh batch?

I used to love Soapnuts and used to get them from Treehuggaz as Emma worked with us at UDN. The supplier for them changed and what was then being supplied had a horrible smell (the first ones didn't smell at all) and left everything a yellowy colour so I gave up on them too :(

I bought kilos of them from Emma and loved them. They only ran out recently (I know, I really did buy loads!) and I've composted the new ones I bought :oops: . They made the kids clothes stink and didnt get the nappies clean. The clothes smell was awful and I ended up washing them again with ecover powder.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:09 pm

It wasn't just me then that thought they had a horrid smell lol!

The first few bags I had from Emma were fine.....goodness knows what the producers did to them but the smell afterwards was :puke: :giggle:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:12 pm

mine are awful. and my cupboard stinks.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:31 pm

:-? What on earth is going on with them then. The supplier Emma had was fantastic.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:39 pm

I've not spoken to Emma in a long time as she closed Treehuggaz and moved away.....from what I remember though the supplier who sold to Emma was the same but something with the producing of the soapnuts had changed. Fiona also had to stop using them because of the smell and turning light/white clothes yellowy too which never happened before.

I've not used Soapnuts in a while so don't know where else to get them from nowadays but I wouldn't be surprised if what's circulating over here at the moment are the same.

Shame :(

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies