Postby scarlet » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Me too! :oops: :hug:

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: How do you wash your nappies ?

Postby Cadiva » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:10 pm

There's nothing wrong with using either tablets, gel or liquid other than they aren't as good for the washing machine itself. The thread linked does explain a bit about this great guy called Ken who actually manufactures washing machines amongst other things and he has posted a fair bit about what's best to use.
He recommends you should only use powder because it doesn't get as stuck into the working parts on a washing machine as either liquid or gel or tablets can do and then that starts to go mouldy etc and affects the efficiency. He also recommends a machine maintenance wash once a month which is when you do a 90deg wash with nothing in the machine at all.

Personally I only use Bold 2 in 1 powder and, like many of the other girls here, I get rid of the poo (we use liners so down the loo), then dry pail and when the bucket is full, they get a cold rinse then washed at 40deg with a second extra rinse at the end, then a 15 to 30 min tumble and out onto my radiators and over the landing balustrade as I don't have any outside drying space.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:13 pm

I would agree with other and say, if it is working then don't change it :D

My avatar
MumOf1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby MumOf1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Hiya, I'm fairly new to cloth nappies and I never realised there would be so much difference in opinion about best ways of washing them. I've just been dry pailing and then throwing on a 40 degree wash with non bio, gel usually, and an extra rinse. Haven't had many problems with this but then never heard of stripping nappies till yesterday. :oops:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:10 pm

I dry pail, do a cold rinse, add powder (i use a full scoop as we have hard water), then wash at 60c with an extra rinse in there too and then hang to dry :)

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 pm

weefywoo wrote:I dry pail, cold rinse, wash at 60 with bio powder, rinse again and then dry on either the line or airer (I do tumble at times though :oops: )

wss

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:05 pm

We have recently changed how we wash our nappies,

We dry pail
pop in machine to do a rinse with extra water
add our eco balls and occasionally some essential oil and do a 40c wash with extra water and 'extra wash' which is essentially just a longer 'wash' cycle before the rinse. Rinses at 1400c

We no longer need to do extra rinses using eco balls so save a fair bit of water there. Occasionally i will use bio powder and in which case i do 2 extra rinses with extra water at the end :wink:

Tumble or line dry

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:13 pm

I'd avoid the liquid, I've heard bad things about it and the machine, plus the nappies dont get on with the stuff. I used to use fairy non bio :roll: terrible, the nappies stunk including the machine, it just didnt clean them properly, I find fairy is highly perfumed anyway and gives me headaches when they dry inside, this must be worse than a bit of bio! :roll:

I put the nappy covers, wraps, outers in one bucket, and the wet stuff like inserts, wipes etc in another, both are dry pale but the face/hands wipes downstairs are in a bucket of disinfectant and water as they go extremely mouldy from the food residue, they all go in the wash together, prewash, tiny bit of ariel bio, some bicarb too, I wash on 40 and every so often 60 but very rarely, then an extra rinse everytime I wash them, and every so often I do this until all the bubbles have gone, then line dry, rarely tumble dry, and we hang them around the house too :giggle: and then I put them away all tidy...I do...honest :lookround:
We use bio rather than non bio, just rinse well, it's only this country that uses non bio and I really dont think it cleans as well anyway, we have no problems here. Do you do a prewash, that will loosen anything on the nappies that didnt come off in the loo.

My avatar
iceflower
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby iceflower » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:09 pm

is it bad that i tumble dry them all the time? :oops: :panic:

PreviousNext

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies