Raw silk liners & bacterial infection

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Raw silk liners & bacterial infection

Postby rcf100 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi, I'm hoping you guys can help.

A few weeks ago I bought some raw silk liners for they're healing powers on my little ones sore behind. They cleared up that bout of rash, but after it came back again I've used them again and they've all been pooped on as she has had the runs and today been diagnosed with a bacterial infection on her new nappy rash.

I've moved her onto sposies until we clear it up as she has 2 different types of medicated cream to use from the dr and I can't keep up with the washing. I'm unhappy about her being on sposies but needs must currently.

Now my question is, how do I wash the silk liners? Normally I just wash the nappies on 60 to kill off the bugs but obv can't do that on these as they shouldn't be washed above 30. What can I do to kill the bugs on them, without ruining the natural healing properties?

On a plus side my dr is quite happy for me to move her back into cloth and said I've done really well with them as normally with this type of infection there would be signs of fungal infection too but there isn't so I've been doing well (she's a cloth mum too). Pleased she said that otherwise I'd be worried that I'd contributed.

Thanks for reading

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Raw silk liners & bacterial infection

Postby ems » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Well its a difficult one because to keep that lovely waxy seracin in the silk, you can only wash it in warm water with the tiniest amount of very mild detergent or a wool wash. I would personally leave it up to the good old fashioned sun light aka UV rays to actually *sterilise* the bacterium. If you have a nice GP surgery, after sunning the *infected* articles, you cold take a swab of the liners.. just with a cotton tip dipped in water and they can wipe it on a slide and have a quick looksy under the microscope.. but the only other way of clearing them completely is to replace them. Anything more aggressive than a mild wash is going to strip them of that natural wax.

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rcf100 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Right well I'm not willing to take the risk and I was going to buy some more anyway, so I think I'll just bin them and start from scratch. I found them for reasonably cheaply so although its a shame - into the bin!

I take it there's no benefit to them without the seracin, so no point using something harsher even though it will remove it?

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby coastal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:02 pm

I was going to suggest sun too. It's amazing stuff... when it's available! :hohoho:
Hope the infection clears up soon. I really sympathise - my DS has awful teething nappy rash, which has often ended up getting infected. :(

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rcf100 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:16 pm

I didn't realise that it could get infected - I jsut thought nappy rash was one of those things. I feel a little guilty because after reading about it last night there have been other occurances where I should have had her down getting it checked

Still I know now and should get it cleared once and for all

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:33 pm

yup sadly, renewal is probably your best bet :( anything hotter than 30 will pull the wax off, and any detergent more than a couple of drops in a basin will disperse the wax.

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rcf100 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:31 pm

Before you replied Ems I'd emailed Disana the makers of the liners and this is the response I got:

"We got your e-mail.

The silk liners can be washed with 60° Celcius in the washing machine. But only once or two times. Otherwise they would loose to much of their skin care effect.

I guess it would be the best to ask the doctor which chemicals should be used on the silk liners. Unfortunately we are not common with the chemicals you mentioned"

The chemicals I'd mentioned were a nappy sanitiser. The company are scandinavian I think so something could have been lost in translation.

Too late now as they are in the bin but I thought I'd just let you know what they said

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 pm

er.. cant you get them out of the bin!? Gosh.. .. I might want to wash them twice though :giggle: Well that is good to know though!!!!! Nice that that they did email you back :)

My avatar
rcf100
Clothie
Clothie

Postby rcf100 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Ewwww no - she's been on nasty sposies and a lot of them as stil has an upset tummy, so not going ratching in that! Especially as I've not bagged the sposies just put them straight in the wheely bin - which is where the liners now are!

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies