hf1

How long does it take to wash?

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

How long does it take to wash?

Postby Rae » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:27 am

OK, I am currently doing a warm water wash with detergent, followed by a short wash without detergent in order to wash then fully rinse my nappies. THe wash takes about 75 minutes, and the rinse about 60 minutes. Now people also talk about doing a cold water wash/soak before washing in warm water. The question is how long does it take you to wash all your nappies, and how much water are you using? If you soak in a bucket in cold, would it mean less time in the machine and less water?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: How long does it take to wash?

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:15 am

I just do a quick cold rinse in the machine first which takes about 30 minutes. Then I do a 40 degree wash which is 1hr 15mins I think. Sometimes I might put an extra rinse on the end which adds a little more time to it but not always, depends how dirty they were and therefore how much detergent I have used.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:21 am

I do a cold rinse first which takes about 40mins (occasionally if there are a lot of really pooey ones I will do an extra rinse as well so about 55mins). Then a quick 50deg wash which is about an hour, and I usually do an extra rinse too.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:04 am

Not the most eco friendly way of doing it I'm afraid. :oops:

Our machine allows us to put on a pre-wash (cold), then a full wash, with extra water and then an extra rinse. This takes about 2 hours.

This is also done at 60 degrees after we've had a few problems with a sore bum and wanted to make sure any nasties were well and truly dead :o

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 am

well, i usually do a rinse at the begginiinng (20 mins) followed by either a 40 was (1 hour) or a 60 wash (1.5 hours) followed by another rinse (if i have used detergent and washed at 40)
i used to use a quick wash whaich was only 40 minutes, and although everything looked very clean, it didn't give the machine long enought o get up to a good temperature, so i rarely use it anymore.
my washing machione is very water effivient...to the point where i will ofte pour extra water in so everything flows about properly!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:49 am

I put my machine to the rinse part of the wool wash on cold - this is the quickest and I think is only about 15 mins, it doesn't spin as hard but that doesn't matter, it's enough to rinse out the urine and any poo! Then I do a 50 wash that is an hour (I think - maybe a little less!)

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:22 pm

I do a pre-wash (20min) then a 60 wash (1hr), sometimes an extra rinse and spin or mostly just an extra spin at the end (15mins),

jan x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:18 pm

I add a pre-wash and extra-rinse to my normal full wash which means I get a cold rinse/wash, then a full wash at 60 then an extra rinse cycle.
The whole thing takes 2hrs45 approx which is a LONG wash but seems to do the trick!

BUT the reason it takes so long is my machine is super efficient with the water - not great when you're washing nappies :roll:

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:02 pm

I've always done my nappies on a 60 degree wash (dry bucketing and no prewash). Unfortunately my 60 degree wash takes a whopping 2.25 hours!!! However, after perhaps a year of cloth nappies (maybe not *that* long, but seems it was a while) I eventually realised if I pressed the "time saver" button it brought the cycle down to only 1 hour! So that was brilliant. :) I've never had any problem with stains on any of my nappies, after nearly 2.5 years of using them! Might help that I rinse dirty nappies out quite thoroughly (first in the toilet and then the sink) just to clear everything off. Also, when I only had 1 baby in nappies, I washed every other day - and now with 2 cloth bottoms, I wash every single day! (Anyone else do that with 2 cloth wee ones?) I guess I change their nappies quite a few times in the day, so if I don't wash every day, I'd have far toooo many nappies for one load. I have enough nappies in the house to go probably 4 days without washing, but would need 4 washing machines to do them all at the same time! LOL

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies