hf1

Help, crunchy nappies?

My avatar
Diner
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Help, crunchy nappies?

Postby Diner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:21 am

I have some old, well used (4 years) flat nappies that always come out the wash crunchy. (The pile is stuck to itself and isn't looping anymore!) Any ideas on how to make them soft again? (I don't have a tumble drier!)

My avatar
sarahbiles
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Help, crunchy nappies?

Postby sarahbiles » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Some people have said about rubbing them together - haven't tried it myself - i have to put all my inserts and fitted nappies in the dryer for a 10 min easy iron cycle just to soften them up - my water is extremely hard - tis very annoying when i buy preloved nappies and they arrive really soft when i compare them to mine. Hope you manage to find a way to soften them up :D

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Have you tried a splash of vinegar in the softener compartment of your washing machine? (OR, :oops: I have to admit to sometimes using a tiny amount of very diluted fabric softener in a nappy wash. :roll: )

I tried the vinegar thing the other day for the first time and it did seem to make them a bit softer and also they seemed whiter and brighter (do I sound like an advert for a washing powder now? :lol: )

Am having a :coffee: now...it's coming up for that delightful hour here before bath and bed time!

Judy
LOVE the news smiliees!!!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:45 pm

Have you tried pegging them outside on a windy day as that can help soften them. Also heard about people banging there nappies against a wall to help soften them :shock:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:14 pm

i have used softener on my nappies on occasion...and no ill effects.
other than that, bashing them and rubbing them may help...or a soak in vinegar to break down all the years of hardness

My avatar
Diner
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Diner » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will give some of those ideas a try, hopefully something will work! :D

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri May 23, 2008 6:11 pm

Bit late coming onto this one but i find rainwater great for softening things up. If i have accidently left washing out in the rain is is always softer when it comes in. I now have a bucket i collect rainwater in just for dipping terry stuff in before hanging it out and it really does work!

Do any of your friends/family have a tumble dryer you could borrow for 10mins?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri May 23, 2008 8:06 pm

I find using washing soda crystals can help as that reduces the limescale effect...

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat May 24, 2008 12:54 am

Adding a teaspoon od bicarb and a splash of vinegar might do the trick too :)

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies