hf1

Advice needed re tumble drier

My avatar
emma tully
Clothie
Clothie

Advice needed re tumble drier

Postby emma tully » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:08 pm

hi, im wondering what the deal is with tumbling nappies, i know its better to let them air dry,away from direct heat,but is it because heat kills elastic and pul? i use bumgenius(microfibre boosted with a ll bamboo booster) by day and ellas house bumhuggers(cotton and hemp) by nite, ive tumbled the bg outers once to reseal the stitching after they were re elasticated, but have quite often cucked the inners in the drier in emergency no nappys left situations...is this bad? im wondering about tumbling the bumuggers, they take sooo long to dry,and i dont have loads, but i dont want to wreck them as they have to last as i bought them new and promised dh they would be an investment :giggle: (he calls my addiction to fluff 'nappy fever')
so, tumbling, really bad or just a bit harder on nappys than air drying? will it affect absorbancy or shrink them, or just wear them out quicker?
thanks ladies, emma x :wave:

:bf: :babyroll: :knit:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Advice needed re tumble drier

Postby laceybat » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:24 pm

i tumble drymine just to make them nice and sofe again once a mouth but other than that i don't know

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:32 pm

i think it's meant to kill leg elastic and stuff, but tbh we have a huge stash and things get used in a very big rotation so the odd tumble drying thing doesn't bother me personally. i do try and dry them a bit over doors and curtain rails, then tumble to soften them. i figure some days it's easier and well, i've not had any affected so far, fully line dried nappies seem a bit wierd to me, so i always fluff up in the tumble drier

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:10 pm

If you do tumble it's best to use the low setting; bamboo in particular breaks down over time if exposed to high temperatures.

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:19 pm

I tumble dry mine on a low setting most the time when the weather is bad and it hasn't effected any of mine yet. X

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:20 pm

my bamboozles have been fine for 15 months of regular use, they get tumbled on high. low really doesn't dry them inside a week.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies