When to use vinegar? Any other advice?

My avatar
vndebbie
Clothie
Clothie

When to use vinegar? Any other advice?

Postby vndebbie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi, I'd be really grateful for any advice from you
My daughter is 8 months old. We have used cloth nappies since she was a few weeks old and everyone was great until recently.
She has developed the most horrendous sore bottom and I'm not sure why. Initially I put it down to teething but we were on holiday last week and had her in disposables (couldn't fit others into case!) and it cleared up but as soon as we put one cloth nappy on it started to became sore again.
I tried stripping the nappies by using a dishwasher tablet at 60 degrees then several rinses. Should I use the vinegar method? I'm not sure when to use each method. We use teddy or bumble nappies with motherease wraps or bumgenius.
I've tried various creams to treat the rash, I've also had the doctor check, it's not thrush. We use the same liners and wipes as we always have. I also use quarter amount of washing liquid to wash them. She had lots of nappy off time and no bubble bath etc in her bath, I'm not sure what else to do other than using disposables and I don't want to do that but I don't want her to have a sore bottom.
Thanks in advance for any advice :D

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: When to use vinegar? Any other advice?

Postby emmalala » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:35 pm

What are the inners of the nappies? I can't put anything synthetic next to dans skin because it makes him sore. Microfibre, minkee, suede cloth and fleece all irritate him. Only things I can use are bamboo or cotton

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Do you extra rinse the nappies after the wash, have you tried using bio powder rather than non bio, bio gets them a lot cleaner and there's a lot to be said about the so called benefits of non bio, considering that washing over 57 degrees with bio actually neutralises the bio means you dont really need to be buying non bio, we're one of the few countries that actually have non bio :roll: plus the extra rinsing should get any bio remnants out of the nappies and clothes so then you still have the great cleansing qualities, I've heard good things about soap nuts too.
Vineger isnt good for pul, we used to put bicarb in the wash, it got everything lovely and clean but I've heard it's not great for nappies either, but I think better than vinegar, we've had no problems; you could try it.
Do you make sure you dry her bum well after using the wipes, not to sound condesending but it helps my lo, I think the moisture and chaffing is more the problem in her inbetween bits between the leg and girly bit if that makes sense.

Do you use washable wipes, disposable wipes aren't good for delicate skin especially not rashy skin, just check the ingredients and use them on your face for a while and you can see why, plus washable wipes are lovely and you can put whatevere YOU want in the solution, plain water is great for times like these, we use spray bottles.

Have you tried olive oil on dry skin, this always helps my lo and it's all I use, I've heard the specific nappy rash creams can make it worse; maybe try the natural ones, a lot of wahm shops sell them under the natural products sections in their shops.

Poo and wee mixed together are very toxic and always cause horrible burns on my girl if I don't realise she's dirty.
an you try loosing the liners, I don't know why this would help but it may be the answer, maybe get some bamboo next to her skin e.g. bamboo nappies, bamboo is naturally antibacterial, again not sure if it would help.
Maybe your lo is eating something more acidic or like you said teething.

I'd definitely reccommend you to buy some silk liners, these are well known for helping nappy rash, I use our one when my lo has bad skin there and they clear it up so well.
Remember your choice of cloth or disposable won't make a difference to nappy rash, neither causes or stops it, but I do know what you mean about using a disposable and the redness going down, perhaps because they lock the wee away it could be teething wee or maybe the nappies do have something left on them from the wash, try a plain water rinse on a 60 with loads of rinses after a main wash.
Do you tumble dry or line dry, I can't be sure yet but possibly since we've been using the tumble drier for the first time she may be more red, can't be sure if it is the tumble drying though.
Don't give up, there are plenty of things to try :hug:

My avatar
vndebbie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby vndebbie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, lots of detail which is great, thanks for taking the time to do it. I've answered the questions you asked. My next plan was to try an overnight soak of 50/50 water/vinegar then a wash with full dose bio liquid (and maybe a spoon of soda crystals as we live in hard water area) followed by multiple (10?) rinses and see what that does. Does that sound ok? Or skip the vinegar soak?

Do you extra rinse the nappies after the wash No, but I did after strip wash with dishwasher tablet and
didn't seem to do much.Will definitely do now though.
Have you tried using bio powder rather than non bio Yes, also read about it only being in this country
Do you make sure you dry her bum well after using the wipes Yes, and she has loads of nappy off time
Do you use washable wipes Yes, soaked in camomile tea
Have you tried olive oil on dry skin No but looks dry so will try it
I'd definitely reccommend you to buy some silk liners Thanks, I'll look for some
Do you tumble dry or line dry Air dry most of the time on drying rack

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:33 pm

We've had this since August and still not getting anywhere. My LO has had open sores continuosly which go away the second she is in disposables.
Just wanted to say good luck and let me know if you find out what's wrong.
We've stopped using fleece liners in order to get natural fibres next to her skin but it hasn't helped so far.
Will cross my fingers for you.
I'd previously stripped through soaking in bath with oxygen bleach, full bio powder wash and about 13 rinses!!
Am trying again now with vinegar... let's see how it goes!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Liquid is meant to be not great - I'd change to powder. Sorry on my way to bed and not sure I can and anything to the other ideas! i hope you can get it sorted :hug: :hug:

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies