hf1

Smelly washing machine and bad limescale

My avatar
Emilie
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Smelly washing machine and bad limescale

Postby Emilie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:50 pm

hey guys, there was so much information to read on here that i thought i would just start a new thread as i dont have time to search through everything.

We have really bad limescale in our new house and our washing machine is crap. It now smells bad from washing nappies in it too. what can i do to fix this? ive heard people mention soda crystals how will these help? Also whats the simplist way to strip the washing machine if i need to do this, as i have never done it before and dont have much time atm.

Please help! :x

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Smelly washing machine and bad limescale

Postby angelsquidge » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 pm

The only thing that's ever worked with my stinky washing machine was running a hot, thorough cycle with some Ariel Bio powder (must be powder). Most of the smell is detergent build up so the pipes can't clear and this was the only method that has and does work for me.

If you're in a limescale area then definitely invest in some limescale remover tablets that can go in your machine (Calgon?)

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:54 pm

We have mega hard water here and the only thing that gets the machine really clean and fresh is Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner. I get it from Sainsburys and use it about every 6 weeks or so.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Caroline wrote:We have mega hard water here and the only thing that gets the machine really clean and fresh is Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner. I get it from Sainsburys and use it about every 6 weeks or so.

wss.

i used to like the oust one (and was cheaper too), but can only find dr bechman's now.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:02 pm

I do a maintenance wash on our machine, roughly once a month. I've done one this morning with just a tiny squirt of bleach (it foams a LOT). Usually I use bio powder. Either way it goes on the hottest possible wash.

My avatar
Emilie
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Emilie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05 pm

thanks guys. have just put the full wash (empty) on 90c with ariel powder hopefully that will help. if not then i will buy the cleaner. do i need to do the soda crystal thing as well?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:23 pm

The soda crystals never worked for me.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:24 pm

I'd think vinegar would work better at descaling.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm

ladybird wrote:I'd think vinegar would work better at descaling.

That never worked for me either, hence the hideous chemical I have to use :(

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies