hf1

How often?

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

How often?

Postby willowherb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm going to do a strip wash on my nappies, this will be the first time. I was just wondering how often i should do a strip wash. I've just been through all my nappies and they smell nice and clean, but as ive not done it before should i do them all and how many nappies per wash?
I have around 30 nappies mostly pockets, but i have a few motherease do i need to strip wash the motherease wraps?

:wave:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: How often?

Postby ladybird » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm

If they smell nice and clean then I wouldn't bother stripping them. I would just do them when you start to get ammonia smells hanging around after washing.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:54 pm

WSS why make more work for yourself, I only do it when I need to.

& no you don't need to strip wash wraps :D

Hope this help :lol:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:55 pm

I strip washed some preloved nappies i got but only because they stunk of washing powder so i assumed that she may have used more powder so there could have been a build up so just in case I strip washed them. now thye just smell clean rather than the scent of powder IYKWIM

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 pm

red_dwarf wrote:I strip washed some preloved nappies i got but only because they stunk of washing powder so i assumed that she may have used more powder so there could have been a build up so just in case I strip washed them. now thye just smell clean rather than the scent of powder IYKWIM

I use bold 2in1 like a few others on here & they do smell of washing powder even though I only use a small amount. I've only ever done a strip wash once in 2yrs so I think it just what happens with that powder & not a build up :D

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks :D I dont think i will rush to do it now as im back to work next week :( :cry: and dont want to spend my last week with my little man, having to go through washing loads.
A friend was talking about doing a strip was and asked if i had strip washed and i didnt really know about it and as the nappies has never smelled before i didnt really think about it. My mum used cloth with us and i normally ask her about nappie questions, but she only had terry squares and with my older sister she had no washing machine and did them by hand every night :shock:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:19 pm

chocmuffin wrote:
red_dwarf wrote:I strip washed some preloved nappies i got but only because they stunk of washing powder so i assumed that she may have used more powder so there could have been a build up so just in case I strip washed them. now thye just smell clean rather than the scent of powder IYKWIM

I use bold 2in1 like a few others on here & they do smell of washing powder even though I only use a small amount. I've only ever done a strip wash once in 2yrs so I think it just what happens with that powder & not a build up :D

I use bold 2 in1 too :-) this was overpowering smell of powder and they had the clagy feel that happens with my mums washing cos she uses way to much powder. Felt a lot better after the strip wash

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm

I've never done a strip wash and my DD has been in cloth for nearly a year :wink:

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 pm

ladybird wrote:If they smell nice and clean then I wouldn't bother stripping them. I would just do them when you start to get ammonia smells hanging around after washing.

WSS. I have started to do an extra rinse cycle before and after the wash and since this I have not had a problem with ammonia smells. :D

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies