How to soften hard, crunchy nappies

My avatar
AussieMummyAbroad
Clothie
Clothie

How to soften hard, crunchy nappies

Postby AussieMummyAbroad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi all,

I bought some pre-loved nappies and gave them a wash before little one comes along to get them ready.

I air-dried them but they feel really hard and scratchy, how can I soften them up so they feel fluffy again, I dont have a tumble dryer but would consider getting one if thats what ill need to keep nappies nice and soft.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Thanks All

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: How to soften hard, crunchy nappies

Postby fivefourfour » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:04 pm

A quick tumble doeshelp, but we don't have one and I don't want one, so I just rub the fabric in between my hands once they have dried. Hanging them out on the line in the wind helps as well.

It's just a case of getting the pile moving around. It's not the heat in a dryer, it's the movement, so anything you can do to recreate that...

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Yep rubbing them together does help, I do give mine a quick tumble as well also although you aren't meant to I sometimes put in the tiniest dot of fabric softener with no ill effects, it is literally a tiny amount every once in a while x

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:48 pm

My Mum swears she used to bash her terry squares with a wooden spooon to soften them. :giggle:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 pm

I tumble mine for 10 mins or so with a dam cloth once they are dried but before i had the dryer i used to use a tiny amount of ecover softener every so often...

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:00 pm

I don't have an answer but we permanently have crunchy nappies as we live in a hardwater area. They do seem to be better if I bash them together after every wash, but who has time to do that?! If you find a solution let me know :giggle:

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 am

If you use a fleece liner, not much of the scratch will touch baby's skin, just the soft liner. I don't really bother with rubbing them together for that reason. also, try to get more bamboo maybe? it's a lot softer directly out of the wash than cotton terry.

Some people on here use bold 2in1, i wonder if that makes nappies feel softer?

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies