hf1

Washing new nappies: separate out colours?

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Washing new nappies: separate out colours?

Postby weebee » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:05 pm

I've finally getting around to washing my nappy stash. Do you think I should separate out the new ones into darks and lights? My darks are totsbots teenie fit starburst, BG flips in ribbitt and moonbeam and BG v4 artist prints in blue and red. I'd hate for the colours to run into my white teenie fit, tots bots stretchie and butternut BGs... but equally I don't want to put on separate washes and waste water if I don't need to. I was planning on pre washing at 40 (as instructed by BG) with bio. I don't plan on separating colours in future washes but would hate to have colour run at the first hurdle. I figure after one wash they'll be colour fast. What's your experience?

Thanks!!!!

My avatar
coastal
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Washing new nappies: separate out colours?

Postby coastal » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 pm

I ended up washing new dark nappies separately, along with a white micro fibre cloth (to check for colour run)... after having a whole nappy load turn pink. :cry:
Most nappies will be fine, but it's better to be safe than (very) sorry!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:31 pm

I have never washed new nappies separately and never had any problems but some manufacturers do recommend it.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:40 pm

I washed mine with a colour catcher in with them and that caught the excess dye in the nappies

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby weebee » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks ladies. It seems that the better to be safe than sorry approach is a good one- I'd be heartbroken to ruin all my pale outers and inserts before baby is even born, especially after spending all my HiP Grant on them!!

I'm intrigued by the "colour catcher" though- what is one of them?! Are they expensive?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:53 pm

weebee wrote:I'm intrigued by the "colour catcher" though- what is one of them?! Are they expensive?

you find them down the washing isle of any supermarket. they are made by dylon and look like sheets of paper. you put them in the wash with your clothes and they suck out any excess dye in the water before it dyes your clothes meaning you can pop lights and colourds together without worrying about colours running. I use them sometimes and you can litterally see the dye on the sheet when the wash is done and I havent had any dye ruin anythng yet

My avatar
x2008xbabyx
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby x2008xbabyx » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:09 pm

Be careful with the colour catcher sheets though, my sisters (new) machine started to leak badly, and it turned out a colour catcher had somehow managed to get through the drain from the drum, and into the filter. She's not used them since

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 pm

red_dwarf wrote:I washed mine with a colour catcher in with them and that caught the excess dye in the nappies

WSS though I have only just started doing this and tbh had minimal runs before hand if any.

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies