hf1

Newbie here :) best wash cycle and detergent.

My avatar
ducky1502
Clothie
Clothie

Newbie here :) best wash cycle and detergent.

Postby ducky1502 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm a complete newbie and have only been doing this 5 days!! So far I've washed my nappies on a quick wash with an extra rinse, not sure what temp this is. And I've been using half a cap full of fairy non bio, no conditoner. Plus I've been adding a couple of drops of tea tree oil.

What's the best cycle to wash them on and what is the best detergent? Need them to be as absorbant as possible as my son is such a heavy wetter!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Newbie here :) best wash cycle and detergent.

Postby ladybird » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:58 pm

I would use powder over liquid (for everything - it's better for the machine). Personally I've used Simply for years, but it's a matter of personal preference. I'd go for non-bio over bio though. I tended to wash nappies at 60 on a full cotton cycle, but lots wash them at 40.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 pm

I also tend to stick to Non Bio powder(I think it's Tesco's own one atm). Mine are washed on a 60'C cotton wash with a pre-wash and extra rinse. We have really soft water so only use about a third of a normal dose of powder.

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:02 am

We do a rinse followed by a 40C wash with half the normal amount of non bio liquid (we use Fairy or Persil). For clothes washing we use soap nuts. Some people prefer bio but we have only ever used non bio since before DD was born because that's what my mum has always used :wink: We been using cloth for about a year.

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:07 am

I do a cold rinse first, then a full cotton cycle on 40C with a third the amount of persil small and mighty followed by 2 more cold rinses. I only ever spin on the final rinse as have read its the spinning that uses up most electricity.

We are going to switch to powder though for a while as my machine is not happy and always needs lots of rinses :-?

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:54 pm

how do you do a cycle without the spin? i would love to be able to do that!

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies