hf1

Should i be washing at 60?

My avatar
weebee
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Should i be washing at 60?

Postby weebee » Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 am

i have a gorgeous 2 week old baby and am using cloth as much as i can- he's below 6lb so doesn't fit much of my stash yet but i have more on order! I've been cold rinsing his nappies and wipes then bobbing in the rest of his laundry and washing at 40 degrees with an extra rinse. Should i be washing his nappies at 60 and washing his clothes separately? His baby grows often have wee on though as he sprays during changes! Thanks!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Should i be washing at 60?

Postby red_dwarf » Sun May 15, 2011 10:11 am

I dry pail the nappies and when there is enough ror a load (generally every 2 days) i wash them at 40 on the longest wash my machine has with a pre rinse to get rid of the poop and an extra rinse :-)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sun May 15, 2011 10:13 am

40 is fine. Nappies only need to be washed at 60 if baby has a tummy bug. It's ok to wash in with other clothes but make sure you are only use a half dose of detergent and NO softner.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 am

I wash at 40 usually, but do the occasional 60 with some napisan just to kill anything off, I've never had a problem at 40.
I don't wash nappies with clothes, I don't think it would hurt but I wait until I have a bucket full as I only wash his clothes at 30.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun May 15, 2011 10:32 am

I think I read somewhere you should wash at 60 or use a nappy sanitiser for babies under 6 months :-?
But I'm not 100% will see if I can find the article
I always use a environmentally nappy sanitiser and wash at 30 :D

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun May 15, 2011 11:03 am

Hi there!

I wash at 40 and regularly include wee'd/pooped on clothes in the nappy wash! (and muslins, terries and other generally grubby stuff!) The nappy wash quickly became our 'generally mucky wash'!
Ive only done a 60 wash on the odd occasion if a load is particularly dirty
My machine has a prewash setting - so i use that with no powder in as a rinse cycle before the main wash - and ive got an 'extra rinse' button - so it will do all in one go.

Which nappies have you got to fit your LO now?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sun May 15, 2011 11:11 am

I wash all nappies at 60c all the time with an extra rinse, our machine does a pre-wash as standard so I let that run too :)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sun May 15, 2011 11:21 am

We wash nappies at 40, with a half dose of non-bio liquid :wink:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sun May 15, 2011 11:34 am

You need to wash at 60C if you want to ensure all germs and bacteria have been killed. Anything that's heavily soiled with wee or poo I would wash at 60C, so with nappy wash, not 30-40C clothes wash.

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies