Smelly machine and nappies

My avatar
gem1981
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Smelly machine and nappies

Postby gem1981 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi
I have noticed a slight smell in our washing machine, I've bought some white vinegar, how much do I put in to clean it?
Also my nappies smell a bit, not loads but slightly. I normally dry them in the tumble dryer and I like them to be soft, do you think bounce would help?
Any help appreciated
thanks
Gem xxx

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Smelly machine and nappies

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:41 pm

To do a maintaince type of wash I would shove a whole load (about half a bag) of soda crystals in the powder section of the drawer, and some in the drum and a whole fabric softener amount of vinigar and if it is really smelling you could add vinigar into the drum with the soda crystals and wash at 60 or hotter.

If you are washing 2 parter nappies without pul a capful of vinigar in the fabric softener section hasn't done my nappies any harm.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:24 pm

I would make sure you take out the poweder drawer and give it a good clean, surprising how much build up you get in it, and check your filter if you have one.
Apparently you should do a 95 degree maintenance wash every so often to give it a clean out, just run it without anything in it.
Don't know about bounce, sorry I don't have a tumble dryer, what does it do to it?

To stop nappies smelling, it is either that they aren't properly clean so do a hot wash with lots of powder and then lots of rinses to get rid of the powder or it is just a build up of powder so the lots of rinses or adding a bit of vinegar should help.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 pm

I think i've read somewhere not to use softener sheets in tumble dryer with nappies as they will reduce the water absorbtion of the nappies
:roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:09 am

bounce is a sheet of fragrance oils which will coat your nappies and tho' they will smell lovely they will probably leak...

I would go for the stripping options first...

When you wash normally do a cold rinse before each wash, I've stopped using vinegar recently and noticed no difference in the smell... But I do use Ariel Bio (works fantastically and doesn't upset my LO's very sensitive skin!)

I'd also go with the maintenance wash in your machine - if you use liquid detergents they leave a slimy stuff in the machine which smells after a while - again since using bio powder we've not had any smells in the machine altho' my eco consience is a little wobbly but if it means my washing machine lasts longer then that's good for the environment too...

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 am

I also add 2 teaspoons of bicarb soda to the powder for a nappy wash. It really helps stop some of those strong ammonia smells.
I'm not a fan of bounce myself, as I even come out with an itch if someone has 'helped' by throwing it in the tumble dryer with my clothes.

My avatar
cee
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cee » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:55 am

Rae wrote:I also add 2 teaspoons of bicarb soda to the powder for a nappy wash

Is bicarb ok to use with pul?

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:57 am

cee wrote:
Rae wrote:I also add 2 teaspoons of bicarb soda to the powder for a nappy wash

Is bicarb ok to use with pul?

I use bicarb with all my nappies every now and then and haven't noticed any difference whatsoever.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:08 pm

I've found bicarb is VERY VERY bad for any lastin on my nappies - that said it could have been co-incidence, but I'm not doing it again...

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies