hf1

Washing nappies with other clothes?

My avatar
Dandelion
Clothie
Clothie

Washing nappies with other clothes?

Postby Dandelion » Thu May 19, 2011 7:17 am

Okay, so far I only have 7 nappies.. So am washing them daily in very small loads. I was wondering if it's okay/hygenic to wash them in with other clothes/towels etc? My machine doesn't seem to have a half load cycle :-?
Obviously once I've built up more of a collection I'll be able to do one big nappy load!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Washing nappies with other clothes?

Postby rachymoo » Thu May 19, 2011 7:22 am

I personally wouldn't wash them with clothes, although I have enough nappies to do a full load anyway (2 in cloth lol). I know people who wash theirs with towels though, only thing is I like to use fabric softener with towels but obviously you can't with nappies.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu May 19, 2011 7:23 am

I used to wash my nappies with the clothes in the early weeks but I stopped when I realised you should use less powder for nappies. If you use eco-balls etc I can't see it's a problem though, although you may find the applix damages other clothes.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu May 19, 2011 7:29 am

I do when I feel the need, clothes DONT need the amount of powder/liquid on the tin, certainly not clothes that have not been rolled around in mud in! I dont often use softner anyway and will quite often use soap nuts.
Keep aplix securely on laundry labs and off you go.

My avatar
Dandelion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Dandelion » Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 am

Okay thanks all! I guess the only thing for it is to up my supply of nappies.. *sigh* ;-) I have another baby due in August so will have two in cloth, then I should have a full load! :-)

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu May 19, 2011 8:14 am

I always wash the nappies with the other white laundry - I cant use lots of powder or softener anyway due to the boys eczema, and it fills that first load of washing every morning too so Im not doing half loads or waiting 3 days to have enough nappies for a full load. Typically I pop the nappies into the machine first and put on a rinse cycle, add the white laundry and towels, put in a quarter dose of powder, wash on a 40o or a 60o cycle with an extra rinse at the end. As long as you are careful not to put them in with jeans or clothes that would discolour the nappies, then I say its fine :)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu May 19, 2011 8:38 am

I often 'bulk up' a nappy wash.
Clothes that are totally grubby, clothes that have been leaked on!
Also towels, tea towels, grubby flannels
Its out 'dirty wash' rather than just a 'nappy wash'

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Thu May 19, 2011 8:41 am

Yep I just do a rinse first and then put my normal clothes in. I do a half dose of powder/liquid and then a rinse at the end. To be fair some of my nappies have discoloured but that is more due to me not paying attention and putting a brand new pair of jeans or new red towel in accidently.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Thu May 19, 2011 8:44 am

docmaggoo wrote:I often 'bulk up' a nappy wash.
Clothes that are totally grubby, clothes that have been leaked on!
Also towels, tea towels, grubby flannels
Its out 'dirty wash' rather than just a 'nappy wash'

I do this any never had any problems!

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies