Please help! Kind of new.

My avatar
LizBaker84
Clothie
Clothie

Please help! Kind of new.

Postby LizBaker84 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi there.

I have 2 sons. 1 is 3 and one is 20 weeks old. I bought cloth nappies for my eldest but think i really missed the boat as i left it till he was about 2. I gave them a bash but could never really get the hang of it with my wriggle monster that he was. They did seem to leak and wick alot but i never worked out why. I am trying again this time round. I have a mixture of pocket nappies. I live in a really hard water area and wash wondering if i could get some advice on washing and drying.
Thank you very much ladies.

Liz x

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Please help! Kind of new.

Postby monsterm » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Hi Liz :wave:

I dry pail my nappies. Then I put them on a cold pre-wash, followed by a 40 degree wash followed by an extra rinse. I live in a hard water area too & I use about a third of the recommended dose of washing powder. Don't use softner with nappies as it leaves a residue on the inserts & affects the absorbancy. If you are worried about your nappies getting too hard, you can use Bold 2-in-1 (the original type not the infusions one) as the softner in that is clay based. I line dry my nappies & sometime I bung them in the dryer for 20mins when they are nearly dry just to soften them.

60 degree washes aren't recommended by the nappy companies as it can affect the life of the elastic & velcro. Some people always wash at 60 & never have a problem but the elastic can degrade quite fast. I would wash at 60 if there is any tummy bug in the house or if your baby is sick.

Washing detergents in liquid or gel form seem to be harder to rinse out & so leave a residue on the nappies which affects the absorbancy & causes smell.

I can't think of anything else right now.

HTH

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:15 pm

We dry pail them too, do a full rinse, followed by a full 40C wash with half the amount of Persil/Fairy non-bio. We have been doing this for over a year now and haven't needed to strip wash them yet.

Some people prefer powder to liquid, and some prefer bio to non-bio. We've had no problems with non-bio liquid and since we used to always use that for the clothes (we have now switched to soapnuts) we thought we would just use that.

Fabric conditioner isn't recommended for nappies, and I would try to avoid tumble drying too. We hang dry everything. We mainly use microfibre inserts in our pocket nappies, which don't take long to dry.

HTH.

My avatar
charlala
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby charlala » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:19 pm

The way we wash depends on how dirty nappies are.
We always dry pail and line the nappy bucket with a mesh bag which we can then just chuck in the machine.
We always aim for the most environmentally friendly option which for us is a normal 40deg wash with soap nuts.
If nappies are very stained/smelly we'll start off with a pre-wash to avoid cooking smells/stains in and then wash at 60. Most manufaturers say 60 is fine, I think it's only eBay cheapies which can't hack it.
Every now and then we'll do an extra rinse, if we've been using detergent, to prevent build up but only if necessary.
Powder is always better than liquid or gel.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:10 pm

monsterm wrote:I dry pail my nappies. Then I put them on a cold pre-wash, followed by a 40 degree wash followed by an extra rinse. I live in a hard water area too...

Same here ... I use 2 teaspoons full of Bold 2-in-1 the powder version & tbh I mostly tumble mine, not the pockets or anything with PUL but all the inserts & the fitteds, as I use almost all bamboo nappies & bamboo or hemp inserts which take a while to dry in all but the warmest weather & I hate having washing hanging around the house all the time.

With dirty nappies I either shake the poo off down the toilet or if it's less solid I use my shower hose to rinse them off down the toilet before they go in the bucket, so no poo in my machine & I find this helps limit stains too.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:18 pm

We dry pail here
Wash consists of a prewash with no detergent (acts as a pre-rinse!) 40c wash with an extra rinse at end
We use supermarket own washing powder. I have a splash of white vinegar & lavender oil in the softener drawer of the machine.
Tried ecoballs in past- with variable success
Occasionally I do a 60c wash if they are particularly dirty!
We line dry ours - either in garden or on clothes horses inside coz have no drier.

My avatar
LizBaker84
Clothie
Clothie

Postby LizBaker84 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Thank you ladies. You advise has been great. Its d day tom as we are starting with them. I really really want to it to work. Can i just ask if absorbancy gets better the more you use them? I also have a tumble dryer, can i dry all my inserts, microfibre, bamboo and hemp in there?
Thank you again ladies.
Liz

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 pm

If they are brand new inserts, I think the bamboo and hemp will increase in absorbancy for the first few washes.

My avatar
jobeama
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jobeama » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:53 am

I would tumble the hemp & bamboo on the cotton setting. The mf won't ever take long to dry & I would tumble on synthetic as cotton might be too hot for them :)

Next

Return to Washing Cloth Nappies